Electromagnetic Induction Problem

In summary, a copper wire has a resistance of 3.3 x 10-2 ohm/m and dissipates 1.6 watts of power when subject to a magnetic field of .75 t.
tigerguy
A piece of copper wire is formed into a single circular loop of radius 14 cm. A magnetic field is oriented parallel to the normal to the loop, and it increases from 0 to 0.75 T in a time of 0.45 s. The wire has a resistance per unit length of 3.3 x 10-2 ohm/m. What is the average electrical energy dissipated in the resistance of the wire.

For some reason, I keep on getting the wrong answer. I'm using the formula, E=NBA/t, where B= 0.75 T, and A=0.0616 m^2. When calculating that I get 0.10 V, and then using that, I get a current of 21.65 C. Then I use, P=IV, and I get an answer of 2.16 Watts, which divided by 0.45 secods is equal to 4.8 J.

This answer is wrong, so I'm not sure where I am going wrong. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tigerguy said:
A piece of copper wire is formed into a single circular loop of radius 14 cm. A magnetic field is oriented parallel to the normal to the loop, and it increases from 0 to 0.75 T in a time of 0.45 s. The wire has a resistance per unit length of 3.3 x 10-2 ohm/m. What is the average electrical energy dissipated in the resistance of the wire.

For some reason, I keep on getting the wrong answer. I'm using the formula, E=NBA/t, where B= 0.75 T, and A=0.0616 m^2. When calculating that I get 0.10 V, and then using that, I get a current of 21.65 C. Then I use, P=IV, and I get an answer of 2.16 Watts, which divided by 0.45 secods is equal to 4.8 J.
I don't see how you get 21.65 amp. (I assume you mean C/sec=Ampere). The emf is .1 volt. The resistance is .029 ohms. So the current would be 3.45 amp. The power, then, is VI = .345 watt. The total electrical energy (I am not sure what "average" means) dissipated in .45 seconds would be .345*.45 = .155 J.

AM

Edit: corrected multiplication error in last line.

Last edited:
How did you figure out the resistance? I'm a little confused on that step (I think that's where I went wrong).

Thanks

I actually redid the calculations. Using the same steps where V= 0.1026 and resistance of 0.029 ohms, I get 0.36 W. I then multiplied by .45 seconds and I got 0.16 J.

But, this is wrong, so I'm still confused.

tigerguy said:
How did you figure out the resistance? I'm a little confused on that step (I think that's where I went wrong).

Thanks
The resistance is given in ohms/metre. Just multiply .033 by the length of the wire to get the resistance of this wire.

AM

tigerguy said:
I actually redid the calculations. Using the same steps where V= 0.1026 and resistance of 0.029 ohms, I get 0.36 W. I then multiplied by .45 seconds and I got 0.16 J.

But, this is wrong, so I'm still confused.
Perhaps they want the average rate of dissipation of energy, which would be .36 J./sec. The term "average energy dissipated" does not make sense in this context.

AM

induced emf = change in flux/change in time = (pi*(.14^2)*.75)/.45 = .1026V
Resistance = circumference*resistance/distance = (2*pi*.14).033 = .029
V=IR, so I=V/R = .1026/.029 = 3.5379
P=IV, so P = 3.5379*.1026 = .363
power (watts) is in Joules per second, so p=j/t or j=p*t = .363*.45 = .1633 Joules
(just to sum things up - I had a question worded exactly the same on a homework and this method worked)

Last edited:

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electromotive force (EMF) or voltage in a conductor by exposing it to a changing magnetic field.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

When a conductor (such as a wire) is exposed to a changing magnetic field, it experiences a force that causes electrons to move within the conductor, creating an electric current. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

3. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including power generation in electric generators, induction cooktops, wireless charging, and electromagnetic braking in trains and roller coasters.

4. What factors affect the strength of the induced current in electromagnetic induction?

The strength of the induced current depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the resistance of the conductor. It also depends on the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor, with a perpendicular orientation resulting in the strongest induction.

5. How is electromagnetic induction related to Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that the magnitude of the induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field. This law is the basis of electromagnetic induction and helps to explain the relationship between the strength of the induced current and the changing magnetic field.