Addressing Errors in Apostol's Calculus & Linear Algebra: Volume 1, 2nd Edition

In summary, The conversation discusses possible errors in two different math textbooks, Apostol's "Calculus & Linear Algebra" and Arfken & Weber's "Mathematical Methods for Physicists". One involves a mistyped example while the other involves a minus sign in a solution. The conversation also touches on circular logic and the use of l'Hospital's rule in proving the derivative of sin(x). Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no error in Apostol's book and that his method of proving the derivative of sin(x) is not circular.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
This is page #293 of the 1-st volume from 2-nd edition of Apostol's "Calculus & Linear Algebra".

Well, the question goes like this:

Can you find a flagrant error in this page...?

Daniel.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is page #371 from the V-th edition of Arfken & Weber's "Mathematical Methods for Physicists".

The question is the same, but this time the error is a bit harder to spot.

Daniel.

Last edited:
for the first question, i think that in the first lines with the limits there arent any mention to x there.
but this is just a mistype isn't it?

That isn't an error. That is how you're supposed to evaluate the limit.

the only "error" I could see in apostol was the failure to check in the first example that it had the form 0/0 before applying l'hopital. but he did say it after the fact, namely in example 2, that it "also" had this form, implying it for example 1.

dextercioby said:
This is page #371 from the V-th edition of Arfken & Weber's "Mathematical Methods for Physicists".

The question is the same, but this time the error is a bit harder to spot.

Daniel.

There is at least one error.

In exercise 5.9.10 part (b): the integrand function is negative in ]0,1[ thus the risult can't be positive. The correct expression is

[tex]\lim_{a \rightarrow 1} \int_0^a \frac{\ln(1-x)}{x} dx = - \zeta(2)[/tex] .

WigneRacah is absolutely right for the second one, the one from Arfken & Weber. Indeed, there's a minus where he said it was.

As for apostol's book, there's something more about circular logics than anything else.

Daniel.

I understand now. While I don't own a copy of Apostol, I can guess that the problem is in example 1.

The typical proof that the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), that is usually presented in introductory calculus textbooks (if at all), requires as one step to evaluate the limit: [tex]\lim_{ x\to 0 } \frac{ \sin x } { x } [/tex], which is of course 1.

However, if you wish to prove this limit, you cannot use l'Hospital's rule, because such a rule would require the derivative of sin(x) to be known already (which is what you're trying to prove) so it's a circular argument.

This assumes, though, that Apostol does not present an alternative proof that the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) which does not require application of l'Hospital.

Nope, but he still uses that limit. There's no way of proving the derivative without using that limit.

Daniel.

i wouldn't be so sure. have you read apostols teatment of sines and cosines.

this is not the way he does it but you could define e^z by a powers eries, then let cos and sin be the real and imaginary parts. their derivatives follow immediately.

or one could define them as independent solutions of asecond order ode... but as i recall apostol does it by a more unique method.

Apostol defines them geometrically and does prove sin'(x)=cos(x) using the limit of sin(x)/x. He did prove this limit in chapter 3 from the inequality cos(x)<sin(x)/x<1/cos(x) for 0<x<pi/2, which followed from his geometirc construction.

So nothing circular. At worst unnecessary since he had already evaluated the limit, but not a bad plan to have a back up way of 'deriving' it if part of your memory fails you.

It is circular, as you can't prove A is right by using it as being right already.

Think about it.

Daniel.

I've always understood "circular logic" to imply there is some sort of error in your argument and it was important that you were trying to assume an unproven result to prove this same unproven result. I'd be willing to accept that's not the normal usage if you want to apply the term here.

That's just semantics though, there is nothing I'd call an error at all here as he had proven the derivative of sin was cos earlier. He wasn't getting a new result, but that doesn't make it wrong. He could have cut out l'hopital and the derivative middle men and said "use example 4, section 3.4 to prove lim sin(x)/x=1" and I still wouldn't call it an error. Silly, yes, but not an error.

dextercioby said:
It is circular, as you can't prove A is right by using it as being right already.

Think about it.

Daniel.

You can prove A is right if you've already proven it's right. Just because Apostol is pro doesn't mean you need to be jealous :tongue2:

1. What are errors in standard books?

Errors in standard books refer to mistakes or inaccuracies that are found in published textbooks or reference materials. These errors can include typos, incorrect information, or missing details.

2. How common are errors in standard books?

Unfortunately, errors in standard books are quite common. While publishers have processes in place to catch and correct mistakes, some errors may still slip through the cracks and make it into the final published version.

3. What are the consequences of errors in standard books?

Errors in standard books can have a significant impact on the accuracy and credibility of the information presented. They can also lead to confusion and frustration for readers, especially if the errors are not corrected in subsequent editions.

4. How can errors in standard books be identified and corrected?

Errors in standard books can be identified through careful proofreading and fact-checking by authors, editors, and publishers. Readers can also report any errors they find to the publisher, who can then make corrections in future editions.

5. How can readers avoid relying on incorrect information in standard books?

To avoid relying on incorrect information in standard books, readers can cross-check information with other reliable sources, such as academic journals or reputable websites. It's also important to be critical and evaluate the credibility of the source before accepting the information as fact.