Freefall Question: Proving Greater Speed Increase

• Thread starter greeenmonke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freefall
In summary, the conversation discusses the speed and acceleration of two balls dropped from a height of 32.5m and thrown with an initial speed of 11 m/s. The calculations show that the second ball has a greater increase in speed due to a longer time of free fall. However, there is confusion about whether the increase in speed refers to acceleration or the difference between initial and final velocities. The conversation concludes with the realization that the units for gravity were incorrect, resulting in a correct understanding of the calculations.
greeenmonke
The question is basically:
You are on top of a edge that is 32.5m high and you drop 1 ball, moments later you throw a 2nd ball at the initial speed of 11 m/s. Which ball has a greater increase in speed, or is the increase the same? and prove it with a calculation.

I started out with the x=x0 + v0t = .5at^2

For the first ball I got the time to be 2.57 s and for the second ball i got the time to be 1.68 s.
i proceed to try and work it out finding the velocity by using the v = v0 + at. and got -25.21 m/s^2 for the first ball and -27.53 m/s^2 for the 2nd.

this is where i have the problem. is the increase in the speed talking about acceleration? because if it is acceleration then shouldn't both ball have the same increase in speed because gravity is working on both of them equally?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like there asking which ball has the biggest difference between there initial v and there final v.

ahh i see. then for the first ball the change in v is 25.21 m/s^2 because the initial v was 0. But then for the 2nd ball the Vf is 27.53 m/s^2 but does the mean the Vi is 11 m/s? cause if i remeber correctly, units must be the same to be added or subtracted. or am i missing something?

Sounds to me like they're asking how the hypotenuse of a triangle compares to the total length of its other sides.

Why does your Velocity have m/s^2 as units? m/s^2 is acceleration!

i can't believe it. i wrote down gravity as 9.81 m/s not 9.81 m/s^2. sigh. everything works out fine now.
thanks EP.

1. How do you prove that an object in freefall experiences a greater increase in speed?

To prove that an object in freefall experiences a greater increase in speed, we can use the equation for acceleration due to gravity, which is a = g. This means that the acceleration of an object in freefall is equal to the acceleration due to gravity, and since gravity is a constant, the object will experience a constant increase in speed.

2. Can you explain the concept of freefall in more detail?

Freefall is a term used to describe the motion of an object when it is falling under the influence of gravity, without any other forces acting on it. This means that the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity, which causes it to accelerate towards the ground at a constant rate.

3. Why does an object in freefall experience a greater increase in speed than an object with a constant force acting on it?

This is because the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value, whereas the acceleration of an object with a constant force acting on it can vary depending on the magnitude and direction of the force. In freefall, the object is only experiencing the force of gravity, which results in a constant and greater increase in speed.

4. How can we measure the increase in speed of an object in freefall?

The increase in speed of an object in freefall can be measured by using a stopwatch to measure the time it takes for the object to fall a certain distance. By knowing the distance and the time, we can use the equation v = u + at to calculate the final velocity of the object, where u is the initial velocity (which is 0 in freefall), a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time taken.

5. Does the mass of an object affect its speed during freefall?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its speed during freefall. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value and is independent of the mass of the object. Therefore, all objects in freefall, regardless of their mass, will experience the same increase in speed.