Question re: constant velocity,zero acceleration

In summary, the problem involves two runners, A and B, starting at different distances from a flagpole and running with constant velocities in opposite directions. The question is how far they are from the flagpole when they meet. Using the equations x = xo +/- v*t, it can be determined that the runners will meet at a point west of the flagpole and the distance from the flagpole can be calculated from there. Additional help can be found by considering the runners' start and end times and using west as -x and east as +x.
studentmom
I have a homework problem that I can't seem to figure out... Hope someone can help me...

Runner A is initially 4.0 miles west of a flagpole and is running with a constant velocity of 6.0 mi/h due east. Runner B is initially 3.0 miles east of the flagpole and is running with a constant velocity of 5.0 mi/h due west. How far are the runners from the flagpole when they meet?

I have looked at all of my equations, and I can't seem to find one that fits... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

edit: I figured with the words "due west" and "due east" that the distance traveled is in a straight line with no slope... the part that's confusing me is the "part where they meet"... I used the average speed = distance/time and found runner B to be arriving at the flagpole ahead of runner a... so, i assume that the point that they meet will be west of the flagpole... that's about where my brain stops working :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would appreciate any help if someone can just steer me in the right direction... please!

Thanks again.

Do the runners start at the same time?

For each runner x = xo +/- v*t, where t is the time (duration) of the running. If the runners start at the same time and end at the same time, then they travel during the same period.

Take west as -x and east at +x. Running west, mean -v and running east means +v.

Determine the point at which they meet, and that should give the distance with respect to the flagpole (x=0). If x=-1mi, then the runners are west of the flagpole by one mile.

1. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity refers to the motion of an object at a consistent speed in a straight line. This means that the object is not accelerating, or changing its velocity, in any way.

2. What does zero acceleration mean?

Zero acceleration means that an object's velocity is not changing, and it is moving at a constant speed. This can also be referred to as uniform motion or constant velocity.

3. How does an object maintain constant velocity?

An object maintains constant velocity when the forces acting on it are balanced. This means that there is no net force acting on the object, so it continues to move at a constant speed in a straight line.

4. Can an object have zero acceleration and still be moving?

Yes, an object can have zero acceleration and still be moving at a constant speed. This is because acceleration refers to a change in velocity, not just the act of moving.

5. How is constant velocity different from constant speed?

Constant velocity refers to the motion of an object at a consistent speed in a straight line, while constant speed refers to the magnitude of an object's velocity remaining the same. This means that an object can have constant speed but not constant velocity if it is changing direction.