Getting a job with a MS in Engineering Technology

In summary: It is a very physically demanding field. I would say that it would be difficult to find a position with your degree but with a little bit of searching you should be able to find something.In summary, it is difficult to find a decent paying job with a BS in physics and MS in Engineering Technology, but with a little bit of searching you should be able to find something.
Agnostic
I am about to graduate with a BS in physics with a 3.5. I'm exploring different graduate school options and can get in and do well in physics graduate school, but I'm more interested in Engineering Technology type studies(as opposed to engineering).

Is there a good job market though for someone with a MS in Engineering Technology as opposed to Engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't know you could go to graduate school with a ET degree, is it a 4 or 2 year degree? The Engineering Technology degrees here is 2 years, and doesn't involve hardly any math just building circuits.

Whats the major difference between EE and ET ?

mr_coffee said:
I didn't know you could go to graduate school with a ET degree, is it a 4 or 2 year degree? The Engineering Technology degrees here is 2 years, and doesn't involve hardly any math just building circuits.

Whats the major difference between EE and ET ?

The BS is a 4 year degree and it is a glorified 2 year engineering technology degree.

THe MS is a 2 year program and the math only goes up to simple DE's. Never the less, I really enjoy doing that sort of thing...

What exactly do you mean by "glorified "?

The college that I use to go had a BS in engineering tech. Strangely, it required a lot of math, all the way up to ODE/PDE.

ranger said:
What exactly do you mean by "glorified "?

The college that I use to go had a BS in engineering tech. Strangely, it required a lot of math, all the way up to ODE/PDE.

At many schools in the US. 4 year Engineering Tech degrees only require math up to HS Algebra 2, not even pre-calculus. Hence it is like a 2 year ET degree from ITT tech.

To my original question, would it be difficult finding a decent paying job (about US $50,000) with a BS in physics and a MS in Engineering Technology?

You can refer to here for some info:
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos112.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Agnostic said:
At many schools in the US. 4 year Engineering Tech degrees only require math up to HS Algebra 2, not even pre-calculus. Hence it is like a 2 year ET degree from ITT tech.

I earned my BS in Engineering Technology from Temple University. As far as Math, I took Calc 1 and 2. My degree was electrical/mechanical. I have since earned my MBA and I am looking into Drexels Engineering Technology Masters Program, or Villanovas Six Sigma program. Haven't decided.

Agnostic said:
To my original question, would it be difficult finding a decent paying job (about US $50,000) with a BS in physics and a MS in Engineering Technology?

I make about 80k right now with my BS in engineering technology. When I first graduated I was making 100-120k but i left that position due to amount of overnight travel to the position I have know. I am a Field Engineer in the medical field.

1. What types of jobs can I get with a MS in Engineering Technology?

With a MS in Engineering Technology, you can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as manufacturing, construction, aerospace, and telecommunications. Some common job titles include industrial engineer, process engineer, project manager, and quality assurance engineer.

2. How is a MS in Engineering Technology different from a MS in Engineering?

While both degrees focus on applying engineering principles to real-world problems, a MS in Engineering Technology tends to have a greater emphasis on practical skills and hands-on experience. It may also have a more interdisciplinary approach, incorporating aspects of business, management, and technology.

3. Do I need work experience to get a job with a MS in Engineering Technology?

While relevant work experience can certainly make you a more competitive candidate, it is not always necessary to have prior work experience to get a job with a MS in Engineering Technology. Many programs offer opportunities for internships or research projects that can provide valuable experience and make you more marketable to employers.

4. What skills do I need to have to be successful in a job with a MS in Engineering Technology?

In addition to technical skills in areas such as design, analysis, and problem-solving, individuals with a MS in Engineering Technology should also possess strong communication, teamwork, and leadership skills. Employers often look for candidates who can effectively collaborate with others and manage projects.

5. Are there any specific industries that are best suited for individuals with a MS in Engineering Technology?

Individuals with a MS in Engineering Technology can find employment in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, construction, transportation, and energy. However, some industries may have a higher demand for these professionals, such as aerospace, defense, and telecommunications, due to their focus on innovation and technology.