Multipole Expansion Homework: Calculate Approx. Electrostatic Potential

In summary, the homework statement is asking for the potential far away from the origin due to the three charges (+q at (0,0,a), -q at (0,a,0) and (0,-a,0)). The student is having trouble with the multipole expansion and thinks he might have missed the point of the question.
Ruddiger27

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the approximate electrostatic potential far from the origin for the following arrangement of three charges: +q at (0,0,a), -q at (0,a,0) and (0,-a,0). I have to give the final answer in spherical coordinates and keep the first two non-zero terms in the multipole expansion.

Homework Equations

So the equation for the multipole expansion is:

V(r) = (1/4piEo)SUM(1/(r^(n+1)))*int(r')^n*Pn*cos(theta)*pho(r')dr'

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem here is that I don't see the need for a multipole expansion, since we're taking the measurement far from the origin the charges will appear as a point charge. Also I'm pretty sure the total charge has to be zero to use the multipole expansion, but the total charge isn't zero here.
What I've got is a triangle on the z-y axes, with a point on the x-axis where I'm measuring the potential. I've got

V(x,y,z)= (1/4*piEo)(q/L - q/D - q/S), where L, D and S are the distances from the charges to the point of observation, and I've drawn them such that L=D=S= sqrt(a^2 + x^2)

This doesn't really work, since two of the charges cancel out and leave one of the negative charges as the sole contributor to the potential. Also I think I've missed the point of the question by placing the point of observation on the x-axis.
I think I should rewrite the integral for the potential for the multipole expansion as a point charge distribution, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, write the poential as a sum of potentials due to the individual charges for a general point in space, then write the resulting potential terms in an expansion like you alluded to.

Thanks for that.

1. What is the purpose of multipole expansion in calculating electrostatic potential?

Multipole expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate the electrostatic potential of a system. It allows us to break down a complex potential into simpler components, making it easier to calculate and understand the behavior of the system.

2. How is multipole expansion used to calculate electrostatic potential?

Multipole expansion involves representing a potential as a sum of terms with different orders, known as multipoles. These multipoles describe the contribution of different charge distributions to the overall potential. By considering only a few terms in the expansion, we can approximate the potential with high accuracy.

3. What are the limitations of multipole expansion in calculating electrostatic potential?

Multipole expansion assumes that the potential is smooth and well-behaved, and that the charge distribution is localized. It also becomes less accurate at larger distances from the source of the potential. Therefore, it may not be suitable for systems with highly non-uniform or extended charge distributions.

4. How can errors in multipole expansion be minimized in calculating electrostatic potential?

To minimize errors in multipole expansion, we can increase the number of terms in the expansion or use higher-order terms. Additionally, we can choose a suitable origin and coordinate system to simplify the calculation. It is also important to ensure that the potential is well-behaved and that the charge distribution is properly defined.

5. What are some real-world applications of multipole expansion in electrostatic potential calculations?

Multipole expansion is commonly used in the study of atoms, molecules, and other microscopic systems. It is also used in the analysis of electromagnetic fields in larger systems, such as in the design of electronic circuits and antennas. It has various applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering, including in the fields of optics, plasma physics, and material science.