Do Insects Sleep? Answers to a Puzzling Question

In summary, there is conflicting information about whether or not insects, specifically ants, actually sleep. Some sources suggest that they have periods of rest that resemble sleep, while others argue that they are in an altered state of consciousness. It also seems that insects have a form of hibernation called diapause. However, they do not have higher brain functions like humans, so the definition of sleep may not fully apply to them. Ultimately, it is still unclear if insects truly sleep or not.
Danger
Gold Member
Yeah, I know that it's a weird question, but it's been bugging me (pardon the expression) all day. I've never actually seen one in the act. While I know that many tend to be inactive at night and during the winter, I've never heard or read anything to indicate that they're asleep rather than just kicking back waiting for something to happen.

Biology news on Phys.org
I know that ants don't sleep. I'm not sure about other insects.

By coincidence, it was specifically ants that I had in mind. The curiosity was prompted by an ad for the new Raid foaming ant killer. Thanks for the prompt response. Dare I ask how you happen to know this? Ant farm as a kid?

picklefeet said:
I know that ants don't sleep. I'm not sure about other insects.

I found this semi-reliable source on the subject:

Do insects sleep?

Although insects do not seem to sleep in the same way as humans do, they do have periods of quiet, where they appear to be taking a break or at the very least, relaxing. The insect does not relax to such a point that it loses consciousness as it needs to keep somewhat alert in order to thwart attacks by predators and to survive. These periods of rest can occur during the day or night and are known as quiescent periods. Insects do not close their eyes during quiescent periods. They can not close their eyes like we do as they do not have eyelids. In addition to these daily 'naps', insects have an annual deep sleep, which is a form of hibernation. This form of hibernation is known as a diapause.

http://www.askipedia.com/index.php?action=article&cat_id=015001&id=732

Here's an entomological site answering the question.

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomology/ext/Outreach/onSixLegs/OSL_files/html/2004/2004-12-23.htm

I guess it really depends on what you consider sleep. I'd consider sleep a state in which you are unaware of your surroundings, but still capable of conscious thought.

Hmmm... I differ from you on the definition. To me, sleep means unconscousness without the capacity for higher brain functions. I doubt that it matters much in this case, though, because insects don't have any higher brain functions that I'm aware of.
Thanks for the additional info, Baywax. I'll get on those links as soon as I finish mucking about in PF.

I only partially agree. An ants quiet period reminds me of a person who is zoned out. They are aware of they're surroundings, yet I don't believe that their brains are functioning at a normal rate.

Danger said:
Hmmm... I differ from you on the definition. To me, sleep means unconscousness without the capacity for higher brain functions. I doubt that it matters much in this case, though, because insects don't have any higher brain functions that I'm aware of.
Thanks for the additional info, Baywax. I'll get on those links as soon as I finish mucking about in PF.

You're welcome Danger. By the way my thread on Awareness goes into some depth with some links about the Neurophysiology of Bees. There appears to be some higher brain function going on with Bees even though they don't officially have a "brain".:eek:

picklefeet said:
I only partially agree. An ants quiet period reminds me of a person who is zoned out. They are aware of they're surroundings, yet I don't believe that their brains are functioning at a normal rate.
But that would not be sleep. When asleep, one does not have awareness of their surroundings. A person who is "zoned out" is still awake, just not paying much attention to things.

That is exactly my point. I don't think that ants "sleep" they are in an altered state of consciouness.

picklefeet said:
That is exactly my point. I don't think that ants "sleep" they are in an altered state of consciouness.

Yes, its like what goes on when you smoke the wasps or a bee keeper smokes his bees to calm them into submission. Or, when the weather gets cold there's a similar effect. Its a form of hibernation. There's a tendency in insects to attain a calm state of rest. But, can you imagine trying to close a compound eye?!

Baby bug: Ow, Mom, help! I bent a bunch of ommatidia in my left eye.

Mamma bug: Well, now maybe you'll stop trying to wink.

ahahahhahahhahah!

picklefeet said:

Okay, I misunderstood you then. I thought you were trying to argue they did sleep.

jim mcnamara said:
Baby bug: Ow, Mom, help! I bent a bunch of ommatidia in my left eye.

Mamma bug: Well, now maybe you'll stop trying to wink.

:rofl: stop trying to wink :rofl:

Moonbear said:
When asleep, one does not have awareness of their surroundings.
This is not true.
If it were, creatures would only wake when their internal clocks told them to.

In fact, sleeping creatures are quite aware of their surroundings, and will rouse with changes in light, smells, sounds etc.

But that's not a conscious awareness. You cannot, for instance, respond to what someone says to you while you're asleep (unless it's a warning of some sort), nor remember it upon waking.

1. Do insects actually sleep?

Yes, insects do sleep, although their sleep patterns and behaviors may differ from those of humans and other animals.

2. How do insects sleep?

Insects do not have eyelids, so they cannot close their eyes to sleep. Instead, they have specialized structures called "sleeping chambers" where they can rest and remain still for extended periods of time.

3. How long do insects sleep?

The amount of time insects sleep can vary depending on the species. Some insects, like bees, may only sleep for a few minutes at a time, while others, like butterflies, may sleep for several hours.

4. Do all insects sleep at the same time?

No, insects do not have a set sleep schedule like humans do. Some insects may be active during the day and sleep at night, while others may be active at night and sleep during the day.

5. Why do insects need to sleep?

Scientists believe that insects sleep to conserve energy, repair their bodies, and process information they have gathered while awake. Sleep also helps insects regulate their body temperature and maintain their daily rhythms and behaviors.