Find speed and acceleration of truck

In summary, the truck's original speed was 4.7 m/s and its acceleration can be found using the formula a = (Vf - Vi)/t. However, to find the original speed, we can use the formula d = (V1 + V2)/2 * t. This allows us to calculate the original speed immediately.
1. Homework Statement
a truck covers 40m in 8.50s while slowing down to a final speed of 2.80m/s

2. Homework Equations

find original speed
find it's acceleration

3. The Attempt at a Solution

for original speed i think it is 40m/8.50s= 4.7m/s
now for acceleration i am not sure which kinematic equation to use. i think it's Vf=Vi+at am i on the right track or no

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not right... for original speed.

d = vt only applies for constant speed situations...

you need a different equation to find the original speed.

so is the original speed then the same as the initial speed

yes, what equation do you know that relates velocity, initial velocity, and time?

well for acceleration you would use a= (Vf-Vi)/t
for initial speed would you use a=2(x-V1t)/t^2

012435 said:
well for acceleration you would use a= (Vf-Vi)/t
for initial speed would you use a=2(x-V1t)/t^2

Yes, but the acceleration formula here requires initial speed... the initial speed formula requires acceleration... so neither of these formulas let you get started...

you can calculate original speed immediately. which formula let's you get it?

can u set these two equations equal to each other, cancel acceleration and solve for Vi or am I making it more complicated

012435 said:
can u set these two equations equal to each other, cancel acceleration and solve for Vi or am I making it more complicated

d = (v1+v2)/2 * t

You can use this to get the original speed.

i get it ..thank u

1. What is the difference between speed and acceleration?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's speed is changing. In other words, acceleration measures the change in speed over time.

2. How do you calculate the speed of a truck?

To calculate the speed of a truck, you need to measure the distance it travels and the time it takes to travel that distance. Then, divide the distance by the time to get the speed in units of distance per time (such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour).

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This formula can also be written as a = Δv / t, where Δv is the change in velocity and t is time.

4. How does the mass of the truck affect its acceleration?

The mass of the truck does not directly affect its acceleration. However, a larger mass requires more force to accelerate, so a heavier truck may have a slower acceleration compared to a lighter truck. This is described by Newton's second law of motion: F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

5. Can you find the acceleration of a truck using only its speed data?

No, the acceleration of a truck cannot be determined solely from its speed data. To calculate acceleration, you need to know the change in speed over a specific time period. Without time data, it is not possible to accurately determine the acceleration of a truck.