Delta-Epsilon Limit Test for Sqrt(X) > 0

• Thread starter olds442
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the Real Analysis proof shows that if x>0 then sqrt(x) is also >0. The proof does not use the E-D method.
olds442

Homework Statement

Ok, so I was reading my Real Analysis Text and there was a proof that Lim sqrt(Xn)=Lim sqrt (X). They had two cases, one where Xn=0 where they use the Delta-Epsilon limit test and it makes perfect sense to me. However, they also show the example where x>0. obviously since x>0, Sqrt(x) is also >0. They prove it without using the E-D method and I am trying to prove it using it. Ill show my first few calculations ill use S(Xn) to denote sq. rt. and e to denote epsilon:
e>0 is given
|S(Xn)-S(x)|<e after multiplying by (S(Xn)+S(x))/(S(Xn)+S(x)) i get: Xn-X/(S(Xn)+S(x))<e now it would also be true that Xn-X/(S(Xn)<e from here, i do not know how to continue the proof in order to solve for it. If i squared both sides, i would have a nasty polynomial on top and that wouldn't offer much help.. any advice?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF olds442.
Your notation is not very clear, so let us first find out what you meant :smile:

I suppose you meant we have a sequence [itex](X_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] of real numbers whose limit for n to infinity is X, and you want to prove that
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{X_n} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt{X},[/tex]
which is [itex]\sqrt{X}[/itex].
What do you mean by "Xn = 0", that each element in the sequence is zero (for all n?). Then you talk about x > 0, what is x? Is it X ?

Last edited:
I am sorry for the terrible notation.. Your latex example is what i meant. Here is how it is written: Let X= (Xn) be the sequence of real numbers that converges to x and suppose that Xn is greater or equal to 0. Then the sequence Sqrt(Xn) of positive roots converges an lim(sqrt(Xn)=sqrt(x)

It proves the case where x=0 using d-e, and i get that no problem.. i am having problems simplifying and showing the limit for the case where x is strictly greater than 0 using d-e. does that help? sorry for tripping you up with poor notation.. i am a rookie at trying to type it on computers!

1. What is the purpose of the Delta-Epsilon Limit Test for Sqrt(X) > 0?

The purpose of this test is to determine the limit of a function as it approaches a specific value. In this case, we are looking at the limit of the square root function as x approaches 0. This test is used to prove that the function is continuous at that specific value.

2. How is the Delta-Epsilon Limit Test for Sqrt(X) > 0 performed?

To perform this test, we start by assuming a value of epsilon, which represents how close the function must be to the limit. Then, we use algebraic manipulations to find a value of delta that corresponds to the chosen epsilon. We then show that for any value of x within delta units of the limit, the function will be within epsilon units of the limit.

3. What does the Delta-Epsilon Limit Test for Sqrt(X) > 0 tell us about the continuity of a function?

The Delta-Epsilon Limit Test for Sqrt(X) > 0 provides evidence for the continuity of a function at a specific value. It shows that the function is continuous at that value because no matter how close we want the function to be to the limit, we can always find a specific range of x values where the function will be within that distance from the limit.

4. Can the Delta-Epsilon Limit Test for Sqrt(X) > 0 be used for other functions?

Yes, the Delta-Epsilon Limit Test can be used for other functions as well. It is a general method for proving the continuity of a function at a specific value. However, the algebraic manipulations and calculations may differ depending on the specific function being tested.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to the Delta-Epsilon Limit Test for Sqrt(X) > 0?

One limitation of this test is that it only works for one-sided limits. It cannot be used to prove the continuity of a function at a point with a two-sided limit. Additionally, this test assumes that the function being tested is already defined at the specific value being examined. If the function is undefined at that value, then this test cannot be used.