Integration by Trigonometric Substitution.

In summary, the conversation is about solving the integral \int_{1}^{e}\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{1+ln^2x}} using the substitution method. The correct substitution is u = tan(theta) and the final result is ln|tan(theta) + sec(theta)|. There was some confusion about the limits of integration, but it was resolved and the final solution is correct.
azatkgz
I'm not sure about answer.It looks very strange.

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{1}^{e}\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{1+ln^2x}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for u=lnx-->u'=1/x
[tex]\int \frac{du}{\sqrt{1+u^2}}[/tex]
substituting [tex]u=tan\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\int \frac{d\theta}{cos\theta}=ln|sec\theta+tan\theta|[/tex]

[tex]\int_{1}^{e}\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{1+ln^2x}}=ln|\sqrt{-1}|[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula looks right but your final results isn't. Didn't you actually use u = tan(theta) ?

what limits do you get for theta?

I just put to the
[tex]ln|lnx+\sqrt{lnx-1}|[/tex]

azatkgz said:
I just put to the

Did you use u = tan(theta) or u = sec(theta) ?

Sorry i typed wrongly.I used u=tan(theta)

azatkgz said:
Sorry i typed wrongly.I used u=tan(theta)

ok. so this part is wrong

fix your substitution.

Express sec in terms of tan again.

Last edited:
but if I change limits
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}sec\theta d\theta=ln2[/tex]

I don't know what you just did, but continue as you were before, you had the right anti derivative: ln |tan O + sec O|, but you didn't replace the original variable back in properly for the sec O.

Just use a "sinh" substitution when you're left only with the sqrt in the denominator and you're done.

1. What is "Integration by Trigonometric Substitution"?

"Integration by Trigonometric Substitution" is a method used to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in the integral, then using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

2. When is "Integration by Trigonometric Substitution" used?

"Integration by Trigonometric Substitution" is typically used when the integral involves a combination of trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, or secant. It is also used when the integral contains a radical expression that can be simplified using trigonometric identities.

3. How do you perform "Integration by Trigonometric Substitution"?

To perform "Integration by Trigonometric Substitution", you first identify the appropriate substitution by looking at the integrand. Then, you substitute a trigonometric expression for the variable in the integral. Next, you use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral and convert it into a form that can be easily integrated. Finally, you solve the integral using standard integration techniques.

4. What are the common trigonometric identities used in "Integration by Trigonometric Substitution"?

Some common trigonometric identities used in "Integration by Trigonometric Substitution" include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and make the integration process easier.

5. Are there any special cases where "Integration by Trigonometric Substitution" is not applicable?

Yes, there are some special cases where "Integration by Trigonometric Substitution" may not be applicable. These include integrals involving logarithmic, exponential, or hyperbolic functions. In these cases, other integration techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions may be more suitable.