Tension in a cable supporting a beam

In summary, the problem involves a construction worker sitting 2.0 m from the end of a 1430 kg steel beam while eating his lunch. The cable supporting the beam is rated at 15,000 N and the tension in the cable needs to be determined to determine if the worker should be worried. The torque of the beam alone is 42,042 Nm and the torque with the man is T = (88)(9.8)(4) + 42,042. The tension in the x-direction does not play a part in the calculation. The sum of the torques about the point is 0, allowing for the calculation of Ty = Tsin(theta). After solving for T, the tension is found to
aligass2004

Homework Statement

An 88kg construction worker sits down 2.0 m from the end of a 1430 kg steel beam to eat his lunch. The cable supporting the beam is rated at 15,000 N. Should the worker be worried? To answer this, determine the tension in the cable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I have no idea how to start this problem. Second, I don't know what they mean by "the beam is rated."

Physics news on Phys.org
do they give a picture?

Take the torque about the point where the beam is attached to the wall... take clockwise positive just like the other problem...

so you have these forces causing torque: the weight of the beam... the weight of the man... and the tension...

divide the tension up into the horizontal and vertical component... think about the torque due to each component separately...

the net torque about the point is 0...

you should be able to solve for the tension...

I tried solving this like the other one. The torque of the beam alone is 42042. Then the T with the man is T = (88)(9.8)(6) + 42042. For the tension, does the tension in the x-direction play a part?

aligass2004 said:
I tried solving this like the other one. The torque of the beam alone is 42042. Then the T with the man is T = (88)(9.8)(6) + 42042. For the tension, does the tension in the x-direction play a part?

no tension in the x-direction doesn't exert a torque about that point... one way to see this is that torque = r X F... when two vectors are parallel, their cross product is 0. r is in the x-direction...Tx is in the x-direction... so torque due to Tx is 0.

so you just need to consider Ty.

Ty = 7500. Was the first part right?

aligass2004 said:
Ty = 7500. Was the first part right?

No, that's not what I'm getting...

Also here:

T = (88)(9.8)(6) + 42042

it should be 88*9.8*4 since the man is 2m away from the end...

how did you get the 7500?

Oh. I did Ty = Tsin(theta) = 15000sin(30).

aligass2004 said:
Oh. I did Ty = Tsin(theta) = 15000sin(30).

oh! yeah, don't use the 15000N... that's just a safety rating... means that beyond that the cable might snap...

Use the sum of the torques about the pin = 0

Tsin(theta) would appear in the above equation... letting you solve for T.

So T = 45491.6/sin theta?

aligass2004 said:
So T = 45491.6/sin theta?

You forgot to multiply Tsin(theta) times the distance to give torque due to Tsin(theta)...

T = 45491.6/(6m x sin30)?

aligass2004 said:
T = 45491.6/(6m x sin30)?

exactly.

Got it. Finally. T = 15163.867. Thanks! :)

aligass2004 said:
Got it. Finally. T = 15163.867. Thanks! :)

no prob.

My english is ok but I have hard time comprehending some questions.

How did you know that it meant he was sitting 2m from the right end, and not the left end?

The picture doesn't help me determine this either, looks like he was sitting in the middle there. thanks.

If it was from the left end i got 14.606kN, therefore the man should not be worried.

pooface said:
My english is ok but I have hard time comprehending some questions.

How did you know that it meant he was sitting 2m from the right end, and not the left end?

The picture doesn't help me determine this either, looks like he was sitting in the middle there. thanks.

If it was from the left end i got 14.606kN, therefore the man should not be worried.

Yeah, I assumed it was from the right end... I think I looked at the diagram and thought he was leaning a little to the right so the center of mass would be slightly to the right...

But you're right it could be either way from the wording of the question.

1. What is tension in a cable supporting a beam?

Tension is a force that is exerted by a cable when it is stretched or pulled. In the context of a beam, tension refers to the force that the cable exerts to support the weight of the beam and any objects placed on it.

2. How is tension calculated in a cable supporting a beam?

Tension can be calculated using the equation T = mg + F, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the beam and any objects on it, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and F is any additional forces acting on the beam, such as wind or other external forces.

3. What factors can affect the tension in a cable supporting a beam?

The tension in a cable supporting a beam can be affected by various factors, such as the weight and distribution of the load on the beam, the length and angle of the cable, the elasticity of the cable material, and any external forces acting on the beam.

4. How does tension in a cable affect the stability of a beam?

The tension in a cable is crucial for the stability of a beam. If the tension is too low, the beam may sag or collapse under the weight of the load. If the tension is too high, the beam may become too rigid and unable to support any additional weight. Finding the right balance of tension is essential for ensuring the stability of the beam.

5. How can tension in a cable supporting a beam be adjusted?

The tension in a cable supporting a beam can be adjusted by varying the length and angle of the cable, as well as by adding or removing weight from the beam. Additionally, using stronger or more elastic cable materials can also affect the tension. It is important to carefully consider all factors and make adjustments accordingly to maintain the proper tension for the stability of the beam.