Yet another Flow rate question

In summary, the long pipeline has a diameter of 13 feet and has several elevation changes. Data was collected over the length of the pipeline and it was found that there were pressure changes that depended on elevation gain or pressure drop. Bernoulli's equation was applied to calculate the pressure loss. It was found that compressible flow does occur, but with friction losses. The paper also recommends the use of the Darcy equation for compressible fluids.
MEdesigner
I am trying to better understand conceptually flow through a long pipeline. in this case the pipeline is 60miles long with a diameter of 13feet. the outlet is located lower than the inlet by about 600 feet and the pipe has several elevation increases and decreases over the length of the run. The entire system is gravity fed.

I have seen measured pressure data over the length of the pipeline and observed rises and falls in the pressure which appear dependent on elevation gain, or pressure drop due to friction. The pipe maintains a constant diameter over it's entire length.

Does Bernoulli's equation hold true for this case? What I am really trying to understand is whether or not there are fluid velocity changes associated with the observed pressure changes.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it compressible or incompressible flow?

incompressible

Sorry, I just saw in your post that it is gravity feed.

You can apply Bernoulli's equation so long as you allow for friction losses.

You will indeed see pressure changes at various points throughout where the elevation changes (and pipe diameter if it were to).

MEdesigner said:
What I am really trying to understand is whether or not there are fluid velocity changes associated with the observed pressure changes.

It's safe to assume that the velocity won't change unless the diameter of the pipe changes at some point.

The elevation changes will result in a potential energy change (hydrostatic head change), but is not attributed to a velocity change.

13'? Yowza. That's a big pipe. Are you certain that the pipe is completely filled during its operation? It most likely is but it's something to ask.

it is more appropriate to call it a tunnel, rather than a pipe, and yes it is completely filled during use. My fluids experience is primarily with external flows so this type of internal flow problem is interesting and just outside of my comfort zone.

Bernoulli would have to be applied between two points, so if you're looking for data at the outlet, you will have to use that 600' difference as your overall delta z. You might be able to approximate the changes in elevation as minor losses in an elbow (assuming the changes in elevation are elbow-like).

For incompressible flow, Crane recommends the use of the Darcey Weisbach equation for pressure drop. This equation provides the frictional pressure loss. Bernoulli's equation accounts for changes in pressure due to head and velocity only. Pick up a copy of the Crane paper here:
http://www.flowoffluids.com/

Crane TP410 also states that you can use the Darcy equation with reasonable accuracy for compressilbe fluids (such as air and steam) so long as the pressure drop isn't greater than 10% of the inlet pressure and the specific volume is based on either upstream or downstream conditions.

In either case you also need to use the Bernoulli equation to account for the elevation, velocity, and density changes.

1. What is flow rate?

Flow rate is the measure of how much fluid is moving through a specific area over a certain period of time. It is typically measured in units of volume per time, such as liters per second or gallons per minute.

2. How is flow rate calculated?

Flow rate is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that has passed through a specific area by the amount of time it took for the fluid to pass through that area. The formula for flow rate is Q = V/t, where Q is the flow rate, V is the volume, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect flow rate?

There are several factors that can affect flow rate, including the size and shape of the area through which the fluid is flowing, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure or force applied to the fluid.

4. Why is flow rate important in scientific research?

Flow rate is an important measurement in scientific research because it can provide insights into the behavior of fluids and their interactions with different materials and environments. It is also useful in studying and optimizing processes that involve the movement of fluids, such as in chemical reactions, water treatment, and air flow in ventilation systems.

5. How is flow rate measured in experiments?

Flow rate can be measured using various instruments, such as flow meters, rotameters, and pitot tubes. These devices are designed to accurately measure the volume or velocity of fluid passing through a certain area. In some cases, flow rate can also be estimated by measuring the change in volume or height of a fluid over time.