How Do I Solve Part B of the Lennard-Jones Potential Problem?

• Thread starter Oblio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, The speaker is asking for clarification on how to approach part b.) of a physics question involving the Lenard-Jones potential. They suggest using the equation T = E - U and solving for v to integrate for x, but are unsure of what to do with the constant E. They then share their current progress, which includes a minimum point and a potentially incorrect value for r.
Oblio
I'm really stuck on b.) of this question.

http://www.physics.brocku.ca/Courses/2P20/problems/prob_lenardjones.pdf

I think I can use T = E - U, and solve for v from within T and integrate for x...

but what do I do with E?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
can i ignore E since its a constant? I got something like,
[tex] x = /frac{-6r^6A + 12B}{2r^13} t^2 [\tex]

The minimum is the point at which dV/dr=0

I'm getting the ridiculous value of :

r = [tex]\sqrt[6]{\frac{-12B}{6A}}[/tex]

by deriving the two quotients, allowing A' and B' to cancel in the process (constants) cancelling out the high denominators as much as possible... etc..

1. What is the Lenard Jones potential?

The Lenard Jones potential is a mathematical function used to describe the interactions between two neutral atoms or molecules. It is used in the field of molecular dynamics to model intermolecular forces.

2. How is the Lenard Jones potential calculated?

The Lenard Jones potential is calculated by using the distance between two particles and their respective atomic or molecular parameters, such as the well-depth and equilibrium distance. It is a relatively simple equation that can be solved using computer simulations.

3. What is the significance of the parameters in the Lenard Jones potential equation?

The parameters in the Lenard Jones potential equation represent the well-depth and equilibrium distance between the two particles. The well-depth is a measure of the strength of the intermolecular interaction, while the equilibrium distance is the distance at which the particles are in their most stable state.

4. What are the limitations of the Lenard Jones potential?

The Lenard Jones potential is a simplified model that does not take into account all the complexities of intermolecular interactions. It assumes spherical particles and does not account for polarization or charge interactions. It is also limited to describing interactions between neutral particles.

5. How is the Lenard Jones potential used in research?

The Lenard Jones potential is commonly used in molecular dynamics simulations to model interactions between particles. It is also used in the study of gas-phase reactions and in the development of new materials. Researchers may also modify the parameters in the equation to study specific systems or phenomena.