Something in my brain has gone horribly wrong

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary: In other words, multiplying a number by a number less than 1 will always yield a number less than the first number. In summary, this is an easy concept that for some reason is destroying my life right now.
Saladsamurai
This is an extremely easy concept that for some reason is destroying my life right now.

It just came up in a physics problem that I posted elsewhere.

I have a cube of side length .6m So the area of one side is (.6)^2=
.36m^2

This does not agree with me. If it were of side length 6 then A=6^2=36.

This makes sense. 36>6. But .36<.6

Same with volume 6^3=216>6...but .6^3=.216<.6

what gives? What the hell is wrong with me/this?

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just the units that you're using. If you think of a cube of sides 60cm, then the area of one side would be 3600cm^2. Now, converting into metres; 1m^2=(100cm)*(100cm)=10,000cm^2, so 3600cm^2=3600/10000 m^2=0.36m^2.

Maybe I need to sleep on it, but I still don't see how the number of units squared can be less than the number of units in 1 dimension.

...maybe I see it now...darn, now I have NO idea what is wrong in my physics problem:yuck:

Casey

It seems your question can be reduced to a problem with accepting that for all positive n, n > 1 => n2 > n and n < 1 => n2 < n.

Does restating your confusion in the above terms help clear some fog?

You are trying to compare .6m a length to .36m2 an area. This is an apples to oranges comparison, there is no way that a length can be greater then, less then, or even equal to a length.

If you would take the time to draw a picture, I bet you will quickly agree that square .6m on a side is about 1/3 of a square 1m on a side.

Last edited:
Remember, when you square it, your units also get squared. So basically before when it only took 100 cm for 1 m, now it takes 10,000 cm^2 for 1m^2.

Gokul43201 said:
It seems your question can be reduced to a problem with accepting that for all positive n, n > 1 => n2 > n and n < 1 => n2 < n.

Does restating your confusion in the above terms help clear some fog?

Yeah. I kid got beef with that too. I am not sure why yet...but I do.
Did I just say got beef?

Casey

Multiplying a number with another number that is less than 1 yields a number less than the first.

Have you looked at a graph of y= x2 lately? For x< 1, it is below the line y= x. For x> 1, it is above. Of course, the curve and line cross at (0,0) and (1,1).

1. What are the common symptoms of something going wrong in the brain?

The symptoms of a brain disorder can vary greatly depending on the specific condition, but some common signs include headaches, dizziness, memory loss, changes in mood or behavior, and difficulty with movement or coordination.

2. How is a brain disorder diagnosed?

Diagnosing a brain disorder typically involves a combination of medical history, physical exam, and various imaging tests such as MRI or CT scans. A neurological exam may also be conducted to assess cognitive function and motor skills.

3. Can brain disorders be treated?

Many brain disorders can be treated or managed with medication, therapy, or a combination of both. However, the effectiveness of treatment may vary depending on the specific condition and individual response.

4. What are the potential causes of a brain disorder?

Brain disorders can have a variety of causes, including genetic factors, infections, trauma, exposure to toxins, and other underlying health conditions. In some cases, the cause may be unknown.

5. Is there anything that can be done to prevent brain disorders?

While it may not be possible to prevent all brain disorders, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, avoiding head injuries, and seeking prompt medical treatment for any concerning symptoms can help reduce the risk of developing certain conditions.