Questions on the basic principles of physics.

• Thread starter MoreZitiPlease
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, velocity is a measurement of distance per unit time and the value of G is the gravitational constant, while the value of g is the acceleration due to gravity.
MoreZitiPlease
Really isn't involving problems, just principles of physics.

What are the units of velocity?

Im aware of m/s, but I hear there are more.

What is the value of "G"?

If an object starts from rest and travels a distance d in t sec, what equation may be used to find its acceleration?

Really all I need help on.

Physics news on Phys.org
MoreZitiPlease said:
Really isn't involving problems, just principles of physics.

What are the units of velocity?

Im aware of m/s, but I hear there are more.

What is the value of "G"?

If an object starts from rest and travels a distance d in t sec, what equation may be used to find its acceleration?

Really all I need help on.

Average velocity is the change in unit distance per the change in unit time. (m/s, mph, feet/sec. km/h, etc).

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change in position per the rate of change per unit time. Same units.

The value of g is 9.8 [tex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex] or 32.2 [tex]\frac{ft}{s^2}[/tex]

Equation of motion:

[tex]x=x_0+vt+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] Solve for a

Hey, I made a new thread.

I don't think you properly understood the question.

See my new thrad.

And I know the value of G is 9.8 we

but It would be 980cm/m2

right

MoreZitiPlease said:
And I know the value of G is 9.8 we

but It would be 980cm/m2

right

Centimeters per meter-squared? No. In centimeters, it would be [tex]\frac{cm}{s^2}[/tex]

Velocity could be measured in any distance units divided by any time units.

The acceleration caused by Earth's gravitational field, at the surface of the Earth, is normally denoted by g (not G) and is 9.81 meters per second per second.

If your object is accelerating at a constant rate then the equation to use is
d = 0.5 at^2
a = 2d / t^2

Yra I know it is 9.80 meters, but they want to convert it into centimeters. So it would b 980?

MoreZitiPlease said:
Yra I know it is 9.80 meters, but they want to convert it into centimeters. So it would b 980?

Yes. Use google as a calculator. Put in the following "9.8 meters to cm", click "search" and you get out the following: 9.8 meters = 980 centimeters

It even does automatic unit conversions. Put in "9.8 m + 32.2 ft", click "search and get back:

(9.8 meters) + (32.2 feet) = 19.61456 meters

How about this:

"50 mph + 10 m/s" "search"

(50 mph) + (10 (m / s)) = 32.35200 m / s

Pretty damn cool, huh?

Velocity is loosely a change in a position (distance) divided by the time interval that it took to change position.

So it will always be a distance over a time. Big G is called the gravitational constant( [tex]6.673*10^-11 \frac{m^3 s}{kg}[/tex]). Little g is acceleration due to gravity ([tex]GM/R^2[/tex]). On the surface of the Earth we can roughly measure it to (9.80m/s^2)

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the amount of force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done, or the amount of work done per unit of time.