Deriving Probability Conservation in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation involves discussing how to derive a condition and show that probability is conserved in a given scenario. The participants also discuss the use of the condition to demonstrate that probability goes to zero as we approach infinity, and the possibility of deriving the momentum and position operators. The conversation ends with a reminder to remember the conservation of probability when solving for the scenario.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

This isn't quite a question per se. But in my review I am supposed to know how to derive a condition
[tex] \psi (\infty,t) = \psi^*(-\infty,t) = 0 [/tex]

In addition I'm supposed to show that

[tex] -\frac{d}{dt} \int_{V\infty} \rho(r,t) dV = \oint_{S\infty} J(r,t)\cdot dS' =0[/tex]

where [tex] \rho(r,t) = |\Psi|^2[/tex]
and J is the probability current.

2. The attempt at a solution
Im not sure how that condition can be used.
Can it used to how that the probability goes to zero as we approach infinity?

Integration of the probability current over an infinite space gives zero? Do i simply integrate the probability current by parts and use the condition given??

Also one question... is it possible to derive the momentum operator?? Can i do the same for the position operator?

Could i use [tex] <p> = m \frac{d}{dt} <r> [/tex]
where [tex] <r> = \int r |\Psi|^2 d^3 r [/tex]

When doing the time derivative of the integrand, am i allowed to assume that dr/dt = 0?? After all the operators are not supposed to vary with time... right?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are expected to know that probability is conserved (remember this when solving). Bring the d/dt into the integral (remember the chain rule) and substitute in from the time-DEpendent Schrodinger equation and integrate by parts to show the first part. When you integrate by parts, what will 'kill' your extra boundary term?

Edit: The integration of probability over all space does not give zero (remember normalization) but the time-derivative of probability equals zero (probability is conserved, aka the particle must be somewhere).

Last edited:

What is probability current density?

Probability current density is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the flow of probability in a particular direction. It is a mathematical quantity that represents the rate of change of the probability density of finding a particle at a given point in space and time.

How is probability current density related to probability density?

Probability current density is related to probability density in that it is the rate of change of the latter. Probability density is a measure of the likelihood of finding a particle at a given point in space and time, while probability current density describes how that likelihood is changing over time and space.

What are the units of probability current density?

The units of probability current density are typically expressed in terms of charge per unit time per unit area, such as coulombs per second per square meter. However, in quantum mechanics, the units can also be expressed in terms of Planck's constant (h) and mass (m), such as joules per second per cubic meter.

How is probability current density used in quantum mechanics?

Probability current density is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of quantum particles and their wave-like nature. It can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain region of space and time and can also be used to study the motion of particles and their interactions with other particles.

What is the significance of probability current density in real-world applications?

Probability current density has numerous real-world applications, such as in the study of electronic transport in materials, chemical reactions, and the behavior of particles in quantum computing. It also has implications in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science, where understanding the behavior of particles at the nanoscale is crucial.