Undecided on Career, What To Do?

• Thread starter Astroman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's uncertainty about which career path to pursue with their educational background in physics and astronautical engineering. They are considering a job in the defense industry but question their creativity for design positions. The other person in the conversation suggests that their research experience qualifies them for a research or design role in industry, and that they will have the opportunity to learn from more experienced engineers. They also suggest finding a mentor in any job they pursue.
Astroman
Hi all,

I graduated with a BS in Physics in May 2007, and will be finishing up my MS in Astronautical Engineering this December. The thing is, I can't decide what to do. I guess the first inclination would be that I would try to get an engineering job at one of the defense companies such as Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, or JPL (not really defense). However, I sometimes question whether I have the creativity to come up with new designs and such. Neither program required a senior project or thesis, and all the stuff I have done in the past at my institutions has been lab stuff and some research. So I think I have the technical and intellectual skills for a science position, but I just don't know what else to look into. What other fields of science related to R&D or industry could my skills be useful in? If anyone has personal experiences this could be useful information as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
A reasonable guess is that as long as you did "some research", then you are ready to begin a research or design position in industry; you maybe will not start at the top, but you could begin in a research position as maybe assistant, or "junior" designer-researcher.

I worked for a NASA contractor for a few years, and an Air Force contractor prior to that- you have an ideal educational background for this type of work. I'm not familiar with the specifics of astronautical egineering- could you for example, work on motors? Hull design? Automotive design?

Please realize that in industry, you are not going to be responsible for coming up with "new designs". You will be part of a large team, and if you are lucky, senior people on your team (who may be only 5-10 years older than you) will mentor you. In fact, wherever you find a job, identify someone to mentor you.

I had the good fortune of working with some brilliant engineers and learned a huge amount, experiene that I can now draw on when I have to design my own instrumentation.

1. Should I choose a career based on my passion or practicality?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. It ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and priorities. Some people find success and fulfillment by pursuing their passions, while others prioritize stability and choose a career based on practicality. Consider your values, goals, and strengths to determine which approach suits you best.

2. How can I explore my interests and skills to find the right career?

One way to explore your interests and skills is through informational interviews and job shadowing. Reach out to people in different industries or roles and ask to learn more about their job and career path. You can also take career assessments or participate in internships or volunteer work to gain experience and discover your strengths and interests.

3. What if I still can't decide on a career path?

It's common to feel overwhelmed and unsure when making career decisions. If you are still struggling to decide, consider seeking guidance from a career counselor or mentor. They can provide valuable insights and help you explore your options in more depth. Additionally, try not to put too much pressure on yourself and trust that your career path will unfold in due time.

4. Is it okay to change careers later on?

Absolutely. It's important to remember that your career journey is not set in stone. Many people change careers multiple times throughout their lives. As you gain new experiences and perspectives, your interests and priorities may also change. It's never too late to pursue a different career path, so don't be afraid to take risks and make changes if needed.

5. How can I balance my interests and skills with job market demand?

Finding a balance between your interests and job market demand can be challenging, but not impossible. Research industries and job trends, and consider how your skills and interests align with them. You can also seek advice from professionals in the field or take courses or certifications to develop skills that are in high demand. Remember, it's important to find a career that you enjoy, but also one that can support your financial needs.