Prove: Linear Algebra - R(T) a Subset of N(T)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that T2=T0 if and only if R(T) is a subset of N(T) for a linear transformation T on a vector space V. The conversation includes brainstorming, defining relevant terms, and discussing steps in a proof. The final summary states that the first direction requires showing that R(T) is a subset of N(T), and the second direction involves showing that T2=T0. The actual effort to carry out the proof is considered trivial after defining what is required to be shown.
wheezyg

Homework Statement

Let V be a vector space, and let T:V->V be linear. Prove that T2=T0 if and only if R(T) is a subset of N(T)

Homework Equations

I brainstormed everything I know while looking through my textbook and compiled the following which I use within my proof.

I'm letting beta be a basis for V and beta be composed of {x1,...,xn}

T2(x)=TT(x)=T(T(x)) /forall X /in V
T0(x)=0 and since T is linear, T(0)=0

N(T)={xi \in V : T(xi)=0} (1<i<n)
R(T)={T(xi): xi \in V} (1<i<n)

The Attempt at a Solution

TT(x1,...,xn)
= T(T(x1,...,xn))
= T( T(x1),...,T(xn))
=T(R(T))
=0 when R(T)={0}

so R(T) must be a subset of N(T)

So my question... I am worried that I have made too many leaps or assumptions that I am not allowed. This is my first semester writing proofs so I would not appreciate a full proof from someone else (which is against the rules anyways right?) but rather, I think I would benefit if people could point out flaws in my "proof," point out any steps that are illogical, etc.

So basically, point out what I can't do or what is vague so I can scour my book and notes and fix it.

thanks ahead of time to anyone that can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
wheezyg said:

Homework Statement

Let V be a vector space, and let T:V->V be linear. Prove that T2=T0 if and only if R(T) is a subset of N(T)

Homework Equations

I brainstormed everything I know while looking through my textbook and compiled the following which I use within my proof.

I'm letting beta be a basis for V and beta be composed of {x1,...,xn}

T2(x)=TT(x)=T(T(x)) /forall X /in V
T0(x)=0 and since T is linear, T(0)=0

N(T)={xi \in V : T(xi)=0} (1<i<n)
R(T)={T(xi): xi \in V} (1<i<n)

The Attempt at a Solution

TT(x1,...,xn)
= T(T(x1,...,xn))
= T( T(x1),...,T(xn))
=T(R(T))
=0 when R(T)={0}
No...
First, we won't need to consider a basis...

First direction: Suppose [tex]T^2(x) = T_0(x) = 0[/tex] for all [tex]x\in V[/tex]. We want to show [tex]R(T) \subseteq N(T)[/tex].

To show that [tex]R(T) \subseteq N(T)[/tex], since an element of R(T) is of the form T(x) for some x in V, we let [tex]T(x)\in R(T)[/tex] and we wish to show that [tex]T(T(x)) = 0[/tex], so that [tex]T(x) \in N(T)[/tex] (cf. T(v)=0 means [tex]v\in N(T)[/tex]).

Continue...

For the second direction: begin by writing what we want to show (as we did for the first direction). Then see how you go!

You will notice that after writing out what is required of us to show, the actual effort to carry it out is almost trivial!

1. What is the definition of a subset in linear algebra?

A subset in linear algebra is a set of elements that are all contained within a larger set. In other words, all the elements in the subset are also elements of the larger set. In this case, the subset in question is R(T), which is a subset of the larger set N(T).

2. How can we prove that R(T) is a subset of N(T)?

To prove that R(T) is a subset of N(T), we must show that every element in R(T) is also an element of N(T). This can be done by demonstrating that the range of the linear transformation T is a subset of the null space of T. In other words, for every vector x in R(T), there exists a vector y in N(T) such that T(x) = y.

3. What is the significance of proving that R(T) is a subset of N(T)?

Proving that R(T) is a subset of N(T) is significant because it allows us to make certain conclusions about the properties of the linear transformation T. For example, if R(T) is a subset of N(T), then we know that T is not injective (or one-to-one) and therefore cannot have an inverse.

4. Can R(T) and N(T) be equal sets?

Yes, it is possible for R(T) and N(T) to be equal sets. This would occur if and only if the linear transformation T is the zero transformation, meaning that T maps every vector to the zero vector. In this case, the range and null space of T would both be equal to the zero vector and therefore equal sets.

5. Are there any other ways to prove that R(T) is a subset of N(T)?

Yes, there are other ways to prove that R(T) is a subset of N(T). One method is to use the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the dimension of the null space of T plus the dimension of the range of T is equal to the dimension of the vector space on which T is defined. If the dimension of R(T) is less than or equal to the dimension of N(T), then R(T) is a subset of N(T).