Relating the Minimizing Integral to the Capacity of a Cube

In summary, the capacity of an object is given by the integral over its surface of the potential, where the potential satisfies Laplace's equation in the volume outside the object. Using this, it can be shown that the capacity of a sphere of radius R is 4piR. To find the capacitance of a cube, one must relate the minimizing integral to the capacity and use the volume outside the inscribing sphere. The hint suggests using the solution to Laplace's equation outside the cube and extending it by setting it equal to 1 in the gap between the sphere and the cube. Further calculations involve using the divergence theorem and integrating over the volume outside the insphere.
Mathmos6

Homework Statement

The capacity C of an object is the integral over its surface
[itex]-\int_S \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial n} dA[/itex],
where the potential φ(x) satisfies Laplace’s equation in the volume outside the object, [itex]\phi = 1[/itex] on S and [itex]\phi \to 0[/itex] at [itex] \infty [/itex]. Show that the capacity of a sphere of radius R is [itex]4\pi R[/itex]. (I've done that bit).

Now I need to show that the capacitance of a cube is s.t. [itex] 2 \pi a < C < 2\sqrt{3} \pi a[/itex]. The hint says I need to "relate the minimizing integral (below) to the capacity. Then for the lower bound, use the volume outside the inscribing sphere and take w equal to the solution to Laplace’s equation outside the cube which is extended by w=1 in the gap between the sphere and the cube.".

Homework Equations

The 'minimising integral' is (I've proven)

[itex]\int_V |\nabla w|^2 dV \geq \int_V |\nabla u|^2 dV[/itex] where u and w are both equal to f on 'S' enclosing 'V', w has continuous first partial deriv.s and u is a solution to Laplace's equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

We know [itex] \phi [/itex] is going to be a function of (r) by symmetry, but I can't really even see how to begin the second part - relating the minimising integral to the capacity. I've played around with a number of identities to try and make the surface integral look like the volume one, but to no avail... help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, i think I've got a little further:

So you can consider [itex] \nabla \cdot (\phi \nabla \phi) = (\nabla \phi)^2 + \phi \nabla ^2 \phi [/itex], so since [itex] \phi = 1 [/itex] on the relevant surfaces, [itex] \int_S \nabla \phi \cdot n dA = \int_S \phi \nabla \phi \cdot n dA [/itex]? In which case by divergence theorem capacity = [itex] -\int_V \nabla \cdot (\phi \nabla \phi) dV = -(\int_V (\nabla \phi)^2 + \phi \nabla ^2 \phi dV) [/itex]? At which point you'd want the integral for the volume outside the insphere = integral of (volume between insphere & cube + volume outside cube)?

Last edited:

What is capacity in vector calculus?

Capacity in vector calculus refers to the maximum amount of charge that can be stored in a given region in space. It is closely related to the concept of electric potential and is used to calculate the amount of work required to move a charge from one point to another.

How is capacity related to electric fields?

Capacity is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field in a given region. This means that as the electric field becomes stronger, the capacity also increases.

What is the formula for calculating capacity?

The formula for calculating capacity is C = Q/V, where C is the capacity, Q is the charge, and V is the electric potential. It can also be written as C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the material, A is the area of the parallel plates, and d is the distance between them.

How does the shape and size of a capacitor affect its capacity?

The shape and size of a capacitor directly affect its capacity. A larger area of parallel plates or a smaller distance between them will result in a higher capacity. Similarly, a different shape of the capacitor, such as cylindrical or spherical, will also affect its capacity.

What is the unit of measurement for capacity in vector calculus?

The unit of measurement for capacity in vector calculus is the farad (F). It is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to 1 coulomb per volt (C/V).