Torsion group, torsion subgroup

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the torsion group T(G) of a group G and explains that it is the set of elements that have finite order. The conversation also mentions that Z is torsion free while Z4 is torsion, and poses a question about finding a set of elements in G= Z4 x Z that has finite order. The conversation also clarifies that Z is torsion free because mn=0 cannot happen for n other than 0, and Z4 is torsion because every nonzero element in Z4 has order 4.
hkhk
hkhk

if G= Z4 x Z what would be the torsion group T(G)?

and what is the factor group of G/ T(G) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

the cyclic group <(1,0)> is the torsion group
( (0,0) (1,0) (2,0) (3,0))
?

That makes no sense. From the top.. the definition of the torsion T(G) of a group G is by definition the set [itex]T(G)=\{ g\in G : g^n=e\ \mbox{for some n\in\mathbb{N}} \}[/itex] where e denotes the identity element in G. That is to say, it is simply the set of elements that have finite order!

Do you know any group in which every element has finite order? If so, that will be a torsion group.

Do you know any group in which no element other than the identity has finite order? If so, that will be a torsion free group.

1. then Q is a torsion free abelian group . true?

2. i was trying to find a set of elements of G= Z4 x Z that has finite order

Last edited:
What do these i) and ii) refer to?

i edited the question

My post was in reference to question 1. If you can't think of a group in which every element has finite order (respectively one in which no element other than the identity has finite order), think of the groups you know and find T(G) for them.

Z4 is a group of finite order
and Z is not
so Z4 is a torsion group, while Z is torsion free, am i on the right track

sorry i do not have a very strong background in this topic and i am teaching myself this so that i can understand more advanced math
thanks a lot for your help

Last edited:
Well you're absolutely right: Z is torsion free since as is well known of anyone, mn=0 (m>0) cannot happen for n other than 0. And Z4 is torsion since every nonzero element in Z4 has order 4.

As for the second question, what have you tried and where are you stuck?

1. What is a torsion group?

A torsion group is a group in which every element has finite order, meaning that when an element is multiplied with itself multiple times, it eventually becomes the identity element.

2. How is a torsion group different from a non-torsion group?

A non-torsion group, also known as a torsion-free group, is a group in which no element has finite order. This means that when an element is multiplied with itself multiple times, it will never become the identity element.

3. What is a torsion subgroup?

A torsion subgroup is a subgroup of a torsion group in which all elements have finite order. This subgroup is also a torsion group itself and may or may not be equal to the original torsion group.

4. How is a torsion subgroup related to the concept of finite order?

The torsion subgroup is closely related to the concept of finite order because it is a subgroup of a torsion group, meaning that all its elements have finite order. It is also possible for a group to have a torsion subgroup while not being a torsion group itself.

5. What is the significance of studying torsion groups and subgroups?

Studying torsion groups and subgroups is important in group theory and abstract algebra, as they provide insight into the structure and properties of groups. They also have applications in various fields such as cryptography, physics, and chemistry.