Relation between mass and velocity

In summary, the momentum of a particle is proportional to its velocity. This is why increasing the velocity of a heavier object will result in a decrease in its mass.
sundar0206
Hi fellas..

I am not so good with physics .. Clearly defined because I am a programmer... I came across this question during one of my simulation experiments .

I was using RK4 integrator to solve equations . Which means i feed in momentum to calculate the velocity.

Momentum = mass x velocity

I hope i did get that equation correctly. This meant that to find the velocity i multiple momentum with inverse mass. .
So for increasing the velocity of the particle u decrease the mass .. but is nt it a practical observation that a heavier object falls down faster...? Am i wrong in saying this? can someone tell me the physics behind it?

Physics news on Phys.org
P = mv (momentum = mass x velocity). Mass doesn't change (so long a v is less than 10% of the speed of light). If v decreases then so will p. So momentum is proportional to velocity, with mass being the constant.
This should be fine unless your modling massless objects (light), or very fast objects (over 10% of the speed of light), in which case it gets more complex.

A complete relativistic relation is

E2 = (m c2)2 = (m0c2)2 + (pc)2
where pc = momentum in energy units (divide by c to get momentum) (note: the mass used in the momentum is the relativistic mass)
E = total energy
m = relativistic mass
m0 = rest mass

Example problem: If a moving neutral particle decays into two photons, a 500-MeV photon and a 600-MeV photon, with an opening angle of 60 degrees, what is the rest mass of the neutral perticle?
After balancing transverse momentum, the longitudinal momentum (pc units) is
pc = 600 cos(27 degrees) + 500 cos(33 degrees) = 953.94 MeV
E = 500 + 600 = 1100 MeV
Therefore
m0c2 = sqrt[11002 - 953.942] = 547.72 MeV
The closest particle is the eta meson, with a rest mass of 547.30 MeV.

The momentum beta of the neutral particle = 953.94/1100 = 0.8672
So velocity v = .8672 x 3 x 108 meters per sec = 2.599 x 108 meters per sec

Last edited:
Thanks guys..
Think I understood... Thought mass to vary and wondered how the velocity would change relative to the varying mass. But ya.. silly of me.. mass doesn't change which makes my question a bit whacko obsolete.. and no my body doesn't travel to the speed of light so I guess I got my answer .. Thanks

sundar0206 said:
but is nt it a practical observation that a heavier object falls down faster...? Am i wrong in saying this? can someone tell me the physics behind it?

Actually, that is the opposite of an observation. It's a myth. If you drop two objects of different weights from the same height, you'll observe that they hit the ground at the same time. Heavier objects do not fall faster.

sundar0206 said:
Momentum = mass x velocity

I hope i did get that equation correctly. This meant that to find the velocity i multiple momentum with inverse mass. .
So for increasing the velocity of the particle u decrease the mass .. but is nt it a practical observation that a heavier object falls down faster...? Am i wrong in saying this? can someone tell me the physics behind it?
Hey you referred that for increasing velocity , there is decreasing mass.This should be when momentum is suppose to be constant quantity, but actually it increases with increase in mass and velocity. i like to tell that its total quantity involved in motion.here mass and motion are part of quantities , if among two one increases, momentum increases
And other you told the heavier object fall faster,its wrong and note that all the boidies fall towards Earth at 9.8m/s^2, they fall together

Here is the exact equation for relating particle relativistic total energy E, momentum p, and rest mass m0c2. I show here that for nonrelativistic particles, it reduces to the standard non-relativistic relation.

1) E2= (m0c2)2 + (pc)2
where E is total energy (rest mass + kinetic energy), m0c2 is rest mass, and pc is momentum in energy units (momentum x speed of light)
Using K as kinetic energy
2) E = m0c2 + K
3) (m0c2 + K)2= (m0c2)2 + (pc)2
4) (m0c2)2 + 2m0c2 K + K2 = (m0c2)2 + (pc)2
5) K (1+ K/2m0c2 )= (pc)2/2m0c2 = p2/2m0

For non relativistic cases, we drop the small term K/m0c2 and get the familiar equation:

6) K = p2/2m0 = m02 v2/2m0 = (1/2)m0v2 which is the non relativistic equation.

Last edited:

What is the relation between mass and velocity?

The relation between mass and velocity is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that for a given force, an object with a smaller mass will accelerate faster than an object with a larger mass.

How does mass affect velocity?

Mass and velocity have an inverse relationship. This means that as mass increases, velocity decreases, and vice versa. In other words, the larger the mass of an object, the slower it will accelerate in response to a given force.

Can mass and velocity be directly proportional?

No, mass and velocity cannot be directly proportional. This is because an object's mass does not directly determine its velocity. The velocity of an object is also affected by other factors such as the force acting on it and its acceleration.

What is the difference between mass and velocity?

Mass and velocity are two different physical quantities. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object's position changes over time. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) while velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s).

How does the mass of an object affect its kinetic energy?

The mass of an object directly affects its kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, and it is directly proportional to the square of its velocity. This means that an object with a larger mass will have a greater kinetic energy than an object with a smaller mass, given that they have the same velocity.