Understanding the concept of tension

In summary, the block and the branch both exert a force of 100N downwards on the rope, but the tension in the rope is only 100N.
mahela007
Hi everyone..
I've run into a bit of a problem while studying the concept of tension.
If a block which had a weight of 100N was to be hung from a rope which in turn was tied to say, the branch of a tall tree what would the tension in the rope be? According to all the textbooks it should be 100 N. This is where I get confused.
According to Newtons third law if the block exerts a force of 100N downwards then the branch of the tree must exert a force of 100 N upwards. This would mean that the rope would be pulled upwards with 100 N as well as downwards with 100 N. In that case why isn't the tension 200 N?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tension (and compression), requires two forces acting in oppositie directions. A rope being pulled with 100N and not supported at the other end will just move in the direction of the force and the tension in the rope will be zero. If it is restricted from moving the tension in the rope increases as you increase the pulling force so pulling with 100N will produce a tension of 100N in the rope.

In your example, the tree is resisting the 100N force so that rope remains stationary.

Just like if I am standing on the Earth and the mass of my body under the acceleration due to gravity creates a downward force on the earth. The Earth applies an equal and opposite force (otherwise I'd start moving in the direction of my weight (sinking into the earth)), but my legs are not compressed by a force that is double my weight.

Thanks for your reply..
yes.. the tree applies a force of 100 N but the object is also pulling down with 100 N. Wouldn't that be considered as two opposite forces?

a tension is the force exerted by the rope on the tree: 100N

The way I think of it, there are 4 forces acting:

The weight of the block pulling down (100N)
The tension of the string acting on the block to stop it falling (100N)
The branch of the tree pulling up on the string to stop the rope falling (100N)
The tension of the string pulling down on the tree to stop it floating away (100N)

The tension in the string is pulling both ways, and it is only at either end of the string that they don't cancel each other out. (If you pinch the string in the middle while it is holding the block, you won't feel the string pull up or down, because there is no net force).

On second thoughts this post might confuse you even more. It has confused me a little :)

mahela007 said:
Thanks for your reply..
yes.. the tree applies a force of 100 N but the object is also pulling down with 100 N. Wouldn't that be considered as two opposite forces?
Yes...

Consider a 1N book sitting on a table: the book exerts a force of 1N on the table and the table exerts a force of 1N on the book. What is the total force between the book and table?

What you are missing here is that forces always come in pairs.

Last edited:
The total force would be zero (right?). 1N downwards + 1N upwards
But that would mean that the tension of the rope is also zero. (100 N up and 100N down). ?

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled in opposite directions. It is the resistance of an object to change its shape or position due to the forces acting on it.

2. How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are both types of forces, but they act in opposite directions. While tension pulls an object, compression pushes it. Tension also causes an object to lengthen, while compression causes it to shorten.

3. What factors affect tension?

The amount of tension in an object is affected by its material properties, cross-sectional area, and the amount of force applied. The type and direction of the force also play a role in determining the tension in an object.

4. What are some real-life examples of tension?

Some common examples of tension include a rope being stretched, a rubber band being pulled, and a bridge supporting the weight of vehicles. Tension is also present in the muscles and tendons of our bodies, allowing us to move and perform tasks.

5. How is tension useful in engineering and construction?

In engineering and construction, tension is used to create strong and stable structures. Bridges, for example, use tension to distribute the weight of vehicles evenly and prevent the bridge from collapsing. Tension is also used in cables and ropes to hold up heavy objects and provide support.