What is the dielectric constant of the slab on a parallel plate capacitor ?

In summary, a parallel-plate capacitor with an initial charge of 214 μC on each plate gains an additional charge of 272 μC on each plate when a dielectric slab is inserted between the plates. Using the equation k=Q/Qo, the dielectric constant of the slab can be calculated as 1.61551, assuming that the voltage remains the same in both cases. However, the voltage will decrease when the dielectric material is inserted, resulting in a lower value for the dielectric constant.
mba444

Homework Statement

When a certain air-filled parallel-plate ca-
pacitor is connected across a battery, it ac-
quires a charge (on each plate) of magnitude
214 μC. While the battery connection is
maintained, a dielectric slab is inserted into
the space between the capacitor plates and
completely fills this region. This results in
the accumulation of an additional charge of
272 μC on each plate.

http://images.upload2world.com/get-6-2009-upload2world_com_ohteyhd.jpg

What is the dielectric constant of the slab?

Homework Equations

i used
k= Uf/Ui
where
Uf=Q2^2/2C
Ui=Q1^2/2C

The Attempt at a Solution

what i did is that i k=[Q2^2/2C]/[Q1^2/2C] .. in this case the 2C will cancel each other .. we will be left out with k=[Q2^2/Q1^2] .. which as a result gave me 1.61551

i really don't know were I am going wroing .. so please help mee !

thanx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would take a step by step approach.

1. By how much did the capacitance increase in the second case from the first case?

2. How does the capcitance depend upon the dielectric constant in the case of a parallel plate capacitor?

3. Therefore, what must the increase in dielectric constant of the gap have been?

i didnt undcerstand :confused:

shouldn't the dielectric constant be like; k=C/Co?
where C is the capacitance with the dielectric material in between the plats and Co the same but in vaccum

Ok

so it will be k= Q/Qo.. were the volt cancel each other

no, I don't think V is the same, there is Vo and V, where V is less than Vo [due to the inverse electric field induced by putting the dielectric material in the capacitor, which reduces the main E, thus the sum of E is less than before and as a result the applied voltage decreases as well]

1. What is the dielectric constant of the slab on a parallel plate capacitor?

The dielectric constant of the slab on a parallel plate capacitor, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of how well a material can store electrical energy in an electric field compared to a vacuum. It is represented by the symbol εr and is a dimensionless quantity.

2. How is the dielectric constant of the slab on a parallel plate capacitor determined?

The dielectric constant of a material can be determined experimentally by measuring the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor with and without the material in between the plates. The ratio of the two capacitance values gives the dielectric constant of the material.

3. What factors affect the dielectric constant of a material?

The dielectric constant of a material is affected by the type of material, its molecular structure, and temperature. Generally, materials with polar molecules and high atomic/molecular polarizability have higher dielectric constants.

4. What is the significance of the dielectric constant in capacitor design?

The dielectric constant of a material is an important factor in determining the capacitance of a capacitor. A material with a higher dielectric constant can store more charge and increase the capacitance of a capacitor, making it useful for various applications in electronics and energy storage.

5. Can the dielectric constant of a material change over time?

Yes, the dielectric constant of a material can change over time due to various factors such as temperature, moisture, and mechanical stress. This can affect the performance of a capacitor, and thus, it is important to consider the stability of the dielectric constant when selecting materials for capacitor design.