How to Restrict Internet Access

• Thread starter thrill3rnit3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: You can then access the router and change the password.Routers have reset buttons on them which will reset all the settings including the password. You can then access the router and change the password.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Is there anyway that I can restrict internet access to a few selected websites without having to purchase software to do the job? If so, how?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could use a firewall or a proxy.
If you are in a network then you should install the firewall (or a proxy) in the gateway.

I'm not really sure how to do that :tongue:

I want to restrict the internet access so my little brother can only access a few approved websites.

You can install OpenDNS and use its filtering. I'm not sure if you can block all but a few sites, but you can block many categories. What you are trying to do is known as a 'whitelist'.

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticge...-your-kids-online-with-any-os-using-open-dns/

Edit: What kind of router do you have? You may be able to set up whitelisting directly on there. Ideally you want to do something on the router level, as anything done on the PC could be circumvented pretty easy.

DaleSwanson said:
You can install OpenDNS and use its filtering. I'm not sure if you can block all but a few sites, but you can block many categories. What you are trying to do is known as a 'whitelist'.

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticge...-your-kids-online-with-any-os-using-open-dns/

Edit: What kind of router do you have? You may be able to set up whitelisting directly on there. Ideally you want to do something on the router level, as anything done on the PC could be circumvented pretty easy.

I completely forgot my router login details so I might have some problems accessing the router home page.

I'm not really worried about it being circumvented, because it's just for my little brother and I doubt that he'll be able to do it cause he's like 7.

I'll look into this OpenDNS thing, thank you.

thrill3rnit3 said:
I completely forgot my router login details so I might have some problems accessing the router home page.

I'm not really worried about it being circumvented, because it's just for my little brother and I doubt that he'll be able to do it cause he's like 7.

I'll look into this OpenDNS thing, thank you.

Routers have reset buttons on them which will reset all the settings including the password.

What is the purpose of restricting internet access?

Restricting internet access can serve multiple purposes, such as improving productivity in the workplace, protecting children from inappropriate content, and preventing the spread of malware and viruses.

How can internet access be restricted?

Internet access can be restricted through various methods, including using parental control software, setting up firewalls, and creating network policies. Some routers also have built-in features that allow for internet access restriction.

Will restricting internet access slow down internet speed?

Restricting internet access should not affect internet speed, as it only limits the access to certain websites or content. However, if a large number of devices are connected to the network, it may impact the overall speed.

Can specific websites or content be blocked while still allowing access to others?

Yes, internet restrictions can be customized to block specific websites or content while still allowing access to others. This can be done through network policies or parental control software.

Is it possible to restrict internet access on certain devices only?

Yes, it is possible to restrict internet access on certain devices only by setting up individual device profiles or using device-specific parental control software. This allows for a more targeted approach to restricting internet access.