Calculating Weight in Orbit: How Does Distance Affect Gravitational Force?

In summary, a mass weighing 20 N at the surface of a planet with a radius of 3000 km will have the same weight when it is in orbit 3000 km above the surface. This is because the weight of an object depends on its mass and the gravitational force acting on it, which is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the object and the center of the planet. Therefore, the change in distance does not affect the weight of the object. The equations used to calculate weight and gravitational force are F = (Gm1m2)/r^2 and Ug = mgy, respectively.
abpandanguyen

Homework Statement

A mass weighs 20 N at the surface of a planet of 3000 km radius. What is the mass's weight when it is in orbit 3000 km above the surface of the planet?

Homework Equations

F = (Gm1m2)/r2 (well... not really)
Ug = mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know. I'm trying to find the g on this planet but I'm not sure where that would lead me... Help please >_<

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the new 'r' you want to find? How does that relate to the original 'r'?

r= r at surface then

GMm/r2= ?

yeah, i just needed to write the equations out instead of just thinking in my head

thanks!

What is weight?

Weight is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object, typically measured in units of Newtons (N). It is the product of an object's mass and the acceleration due to gravity.

How is weight different from mass?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force acting on the object.

Why do we feel weightless in space?

We feel weightless in space because there is no significant gravitational force acting on our bodies. In orbit around the Earth, for example, astronauts experience a constant state of freefall, causing the sensation of weightlessness.

Does weight change with location?

Yes, weight can change with location due to variations in the strength of the gravitational force. The closer an object is to a massive body, the stronger the gravitational force and the greater the weight will be.

Can weight be negative?

No, weight cannot be negative. It is a measure of force, and force is always a positive quantity. However, an object's weight can be represented as a negative value if it is in a state of freefall or if it is being pulled in the opposite direction of the gravitational force.