Should Inmates Be Given Internet Access?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
That would solve the energy crisis and get rid of the bad elements in society.In summary, there is a debate on whether inmates should be given internet access or not. Some argue that it could be a useful tool for education and rehabilitation, while others believe it would be a dangerous distraction and a luxury that prisoners do not deserve. Some suggest limiting internet access to only educational websites, while others propose using inmates' energy to solve the energy crisis. Ultimately, opinions are divided and there is no clear consensus on the matter.

Should inmates be given internet access?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
eNtRopY
[SOLVED] Should Inmates Be Given Internet Access?

I think Mr. Robin Parsons has already answered this question for us.

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
i think they should earn it...just like everyone else, they earn it as well...

I don't think that they could be trusted with the internet. Too quick to monitor information.

Greetings !

The whole point is that people spend time with themselves
and think of their actions and how long they've got to indure
this boredom and lack of freedom more. If they have access to the
Internet they'll be distracted from this important aspect
and they could potentialy cause more harm directly or through
causing others to do it as well as prepare to do so once they
can get out.

In conclusion - NO !

Live long and prosper.

the idea of being inside is that you are kept out of society, so no. but if i was an inmate i would say yes, obviously.

Good post Entropy, i voted no because they don't deserve it.

Depends on what they want to use it for...don't we want criminals to come out more informed than they were when they went it, so maybe they can contribute to society?

Ok but maybe the use of the internet should be limited so that they can only view educational websites.

Originally posted by Andy
Ok but maybe the use of the internet should be limited so that they can only view educational websites.

Yes, I agree, and also they should only be allowed to eat American potato salad only German potato salad... and non-alcholic beer.

eNtRopY

They get steak dinners in minimum security prisons so my answer is NO! Thats all i need is a too bit hacker inmate crashing my system.
Anyways...I believe they should be subjected to education (Nothing about legal) and tortured with positive reinforcement (ie., classical music, arts and crafts without the weapons, basically anything that will refine them back to society). Oh yeah, I think they should repay back to society what they took this is why I believe in the chain gang system. Break the law and pay for it. An eye for an eye!
PEACE OUT!
Dx

Originally posted by Dx
Oh yeah, I think they should repay back to society what they took this is why I believe in the chain gang system. Break the law and pay for it. An eye for an eye!
PEACE OUT!
Dx

That's a damn good idea! But let's solve the energy crisis while we're at it. Let's make inmates ride exercise bikes connected to electrical generators all day long.

So much for Cruel and Unusual Punishment laws.

eNtRopY

Prisoners shouldn't be allowed any such luxuries.

They went to prison because they committed a crime. They deserve to be in prison!

Too many prisons (in this country at least) are literally holiday camps. I should think the prisoners have a good relaxing time most days. Which obviously isn't the point.

Originally posted by eNtRopY
That's a damn good idea! But let's solve the energy crisis while we're at it. Let's make inmates ride exercise bikes connected to electrical generators all day long.
Hey ! That's a great idea ! Seriously ! :smile:
Of course, "normal" people, as ussual, will probably say it's
unethical - fools !

Besides, think of all the tax-payers' money that will
be required to do this. :wink:

Originally posted by drag
Hey ! That's a great idea ! Seriously ! :smile:
Of course, "normal" people, as ussual, will probably say it's
unethical - fools !

Actually, there's a fundamental techical problem with this solution. It's difficult to couple such an incoherent power source to the grid. You mostly get reflection off the transmission line since there is no single frequency to use for matching. There is currently research underway to figure out how make cheap, power efficient, solid-state switches that could be used for converting irregular power to single frequency AC power. The hope is that such an invention will allow us to better harness natural irregular energy sources like wind.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY

Why not burn the inmates in a large furnace?

1. Should inmates be given internet access for educational purposes?

There is ongoing debate about whether inmates should be given internet access for educational purposes. Some argue that it could help with rehabilitation and reintegration into society, while others are concerned about potential security risks and misuse of the internet. Ultimately, the decision would depend on the policies and regulations in place in each correctional facility.

2. What are the potential benefits of providing inmates with internet access?

Some potential benefits of providing inmates with internet access include access to educational resources, job training opportunities, and improved communication with family and friends. It could also help reduce recidivism rates by providing inmates with skills and knowledge that could help them find employment after release.

3. Are there any security concerns associated with giving inmates internet access?

Yes, there are potential security concerns associated with giving inmates internet access. This includes the possibility of inmates using the internet to plan and carry out crimes, access inappropriate content, or communicate with individuals outside of the facility who may pose a threat. Corrections facilities would need to implement strict regulations and monitoring systems to address these concerns.

4. What are the alternatives to providing inmates with internet access?

There are several alternatives to giving inmates full internet access. These include providing access to curated educational content, allowing limited access to email and messaging services, and implementing internet-filtering software. Other options could include providing inmates with computer-based educational programs or in-person classes.

5. How do other countries handle internet access for inmates?

Different countries have varying policies and regulations regarding internet access for inmates. Some countries, such as Norway and Sweden, allow inmates to have access to the internet for educational purposes. Others, like the United Kingdom, have strict restrictions and filtering in place. It is important to consider the cultural, societal, and security factors of each country when looking at their approaches to internet access for inmates.