Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
  • #1,156
Wow, revised weather forecast, today's high only in the mid 60's F. Record breaking low temps. Sweater weather in what should be the dog days of summer.

LOVE IT!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,157
It is not really that cold yet, but I did walk (20 minutes) my seven-year-old daughter to school at -18 C (0 F) this morning.

• #1,158
George Jones said:
It is not really that cold yet, but I did walk (20 minutes) my seven-year-old daughter to school at -18 C (0 F) this morning.
It was close to 60F here yesterday and today the high is supposed to be 38F, cold air predicted all week.

• #1,159
Hmm, that's plenty cold enough. Here in Colorado it's snowing and 10F (-12C). Since the walks and roads were warm from a week of beautiful sunny weather, the first hours of light snow flakes yesterday afternoon melted upon contact. Now we have 8 inches of snow over a layer of slick ice. I'm telecommuting today!

• #1,160
Positively freezing...25Cs...

• #1,161
We've had an unusual cold snap here, but we're through it now. Highs here today in the upper 30s (about 3 or 4 C)...and it actually feels warm!

• #1,162
Getting warm here too; high of -2C = 28 F tomorrow. There is, however, a prediction of a 15 cm - 25cm (6 to 10 inches) snowfall over the next 36 hours.

• #1,163
George Jones said:
a prediction of a 15 cm - 25cm (6 to 10 inches) snowfall over the next 36 hours.

We are really getting dumped on. Now total expected snowfall is up to 40 cm = 16 inches. Lots of people getting stuck in parking lots, including the parking lots here at work. Hope the bus makes it up the hill, so I can go home in a couple of hours.

• #1,164
Calling for 3 deg F tonight at my place... It'll be a cold ride into work in the morning...

• #1,165
Heavy fog in last few days. Pretty dangerous for driving, so bad !

• #1,166
7 deg F and snowing. It's going to be a white Christmas, unless some huge reversal shows up.

When I was a teen, I babysat for my aunt and uncle's kids, and had to keep an eye on my aunt's aunt. She was quite talkative, and told me that she didn't want a green Christmas because "old people die" when that happens.

• #1,167
turbo said:
It's going to be a white Christmas, ...
Got your roof rake out? Look like you're going to need it?

• #1,168
They've changed the snow forecast here to maybe some between 4-5 AM. I'm not complaining. dl, are you even predicted to get any?

• #1,169
George Jones said:
We are really getting dumped on. Now total expected snowfall is up to 40 cm = 16 inches. Lots of people getting stuck in parking lots, including the parking lots here at work. Hope the bus makes it up the hill, so I can go home in a couple of hours.

Ended up getting between 40 and 50 cm (between 16 and 20 inches).

http://ckpg.com/another-dump-of-snow-hits-city-video

Wife got stuck in the parking lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,170
George Jones said:
Ended up getting between 40 and 50 cm (between 16 and 20 inches).

http://ckpg.com/another-dump-of-snow-hits-city-video

Wife got stuck in the parking lot.
I hope you and your wife made it home ok. I've been in a couple of blizzards.

Most discouraging was when I had been out of town when a blizzard had hit at home. I flew back the next day, but due to delays, my flight didn't arrive until after midnight. It was a small airport, and they had basically already closed. I had to call security in order to get a lift out to the remote parking where my car was. When I got there and we figured out that a wall of snow was my car (the plows had formed that impenetrable WALL OF ICE behind it). It was below zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,171
Evo said:
I hope you and your wife made it home ok. I've been in a couple of blizzards.

Most discouraging was when I had been out of town when a blizzard had hit at home. I flew back the next day, but due to delays, my flight didn't arrive until after midnight. It was a small airport, and they had basically already closed. I had to call security in order to get a lift out to the remote parking where my car was. When I got there and we figured out that a wall of snow was my car (the plows had formed that impenetrable WALL OF ICE behind it). It was below zero.
Have you thought about writing a travel book? You seem to have all the fun. :biggrin:

• #1,172
It has been very warm here (0C = 32F right now) for more than a week. Where I used to live, Brandon Manitoba, was, however, very cold this morning, -38C = -36F with a windchill of -51C = -60C.

• #1,173
I'm thinking Maine might be a better place to be Sunday night. Turbo!

Sunday Night: Colder. Bitterly cold. Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of flurries. Lows around 9 below. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph. Wind chill readings as cold as 30 below.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=KSZ026&zflg=1

• #1,174
It's a balmy 0°F (-18°C) now, according to the local weather service, but our backyard thermometer indicates -3°F (-19°C) and the low is supposed to be -8°F by 3 am.

It's also a bit breezy. We had about 6 to 8 inches of powdery snow, which packed into a crunchy layer.

Meanwhile - it's going to get a wee bit cooler for some.

http://news.yahoo.com/39-polar-vortex-39-blast-frigid-air-over-231228456.html

Last edited:
  • #1,175
Calling for negative double digits tonight, with a high of 0°F Monday. But of course, it will be at or near 32°F and raining by the end of the week...

• #1,176
Gah, we got about 4-5 inches of snow last night, which means I will have to dig my car out and it's COLD and WINDY. I have a garage, but I use it for storage.

I just checked the weather forecast, they're calling for more snow in a couple of hours, and the windchill right now is -10F. I just don't have the appropriate winter clothing for weather this cold. When I lived in upstate NY, I had a thick thermal coat, gloves, snow boots. I haven't even seen snow boots for sale here, just fashion boots and combat looking boots.

Last edited:
  • #1,177
Here in Northern California (Redding @ 40° 33’N), the temperature at 12:53 PM is 68° with clear sunny skies. On the other hand, we’re having our driest winter on record; and the farmers and ranchers are worried.

• #1,178
Right now, we are sitting at ~12°F, with a windchill of ~5°F, dug out the truck at noon, about 7 inches snow. Took more time to shovel the neighbors driveway than mine, we squeeze everything in, leaving about 20 sq ft of area to clean up.

I feel for those fools in Green Bay, I am toasty warm and having a nice cup o joe and enjoying the game more than they are...

• #1,179
It was -51c with the windchill here this morning, colder temperatures projected for the rest of the week. -.-

• #1,180
KrisOhn said:
It was -51c with the windchill here this morning

If I remember correctly where you live, -51°C counts as a mild Spring.

• #1,181
around 13°C over here, I'm waiting for winter. Will happen late I suppose. (To reference, I live in Belgium)

• #1,182
Borek said:
If I remember correctly where you live, -51°C counts as a mild Spring.

Hahaha, sadly.

• #1,183
We had a high temperature of 75o F today (that's 24o C for the rest of you yahoos) today in Southern California. That's unseasonably warm. I made the mistake of wearing a jacket when I left my house. I had to carry it around for the rest of the day.

• #1,184
collinsmark said:
We had a high temperature of 75o F today (that's 24o C for the rest of you yahoos) today in Southern California. That's unseasonably warm. I made the mistake of wearing a jacket when I left my house. I had to carry it around for the rest of the day.
Ya scum! :tongue:

• #1,185
collinsmark said:

Evo said:
Ya scum! :tongue:
ditto

• #1,186
hovering around 0'C for weeks now, by this time everything should be buried in snow, guess that means I can practice my snowshovelling in late April.

• #1,187
Yesterday morning, the temperature was about 20°F (-6.7°C). This morning, the temperature is 55°F (13°C), and last night we had rain and high winds. Tomorrow morning, the temperature is predicted to be around 10°F (-12°C).

Most of the snow melted last night, and with the rain, it usually means flooding in the vicinity of rivers and streams.

• #1,188
36F and raining here. The ground is frozen and branches and wires are very cold, so we're getting lots of ice.

I'd like to go out and get the newspaper, but I'm going to wait until it gets light out. There is no sense in trying to walk in the dark on wet ice.

• #1,189
There's such a thick fog outside, I literally had to drive at the velocity of 12cm/year, traffic jams everywhere...panika! I'm staying home, screw that.

• #1,190
It's funny watching Americans complain about snow. Last year the winter began in October with a bang: We were hit with 3 days of blizzards and afterwards we got temperatures as low as -20 degrees Celsius here in Trondheim.

This year is really weird though. For the majority of Norwegians there wasn't any snow on christmas, and temperatures have rarely fallen below 5 degrees Celsius. I wish we got a decent snow-storm like the one going on at the east coast, so I could finally go skiing.. :(

Last edited: