How Do You Calculate Total Flux Through a Cube with Non-Uniform Electric Field?

• Thread starter joemama69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Flux
Adding them all up we get 2L^3+ aL^4 which can be factored to L^3(2+ aL). That is the total flux through the region.In summary, the problem involves finding the total flux through a cube with lengths L using the given equation for E(x). The flux through the z=0 and z=L planes is 0, and for the remaining sides, a double integral is used to integrate over the area. The flux through the x=0 face is -L^3, through the x=L face is 2L^3, and through the y=L face is aL^4. The total flux through the cube is 2L^3 +
joemama69

Homework Statement

A cube has lengths L.

E(x) = {a(x+L)2i - (ayL)j where a is constant

Find the total Flux through the cube.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the flux is 0 through the z = 0 and z = L planes but the other sides and the top & bottom i am unsure how to find.

I am confused about the x,y, & L variables. It seems that x & y = L. When I integrae over the area am i doing a double integral for x & y from 0 to L

Physics news on Phys.org
joemama69 said:

Homework Statement

A cube has lengths L.

E(x) = {a(x+L)2i - (ayL)j where a is constant

Find the total Flux through the cube.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the flux is 0 through the z = 0 and z = L planes but the other sides and the top & bottom i am unsure how to find.

I am confused about the x,y, & L variables. It seems that x & y = L. When I integrae over the area am i doing a double integral for x & y from 0 to L
There is NO "L variable", L is a constant, not a variable.

If you are integrating the flux over the top and bottom, yes, you are integrating x and y from 0 to L.
In particular, [/itex]\vec{n}dS[/itex] for the top and bottom are [itex]\vec{k}dxdy[/itex] and [itex]-\vec{k}dxdy[/itex] respectively. Since your given function has no [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] component, yes, the flux through those is 0.

Now consider the face x= 0, in the yz-plane. A unit (outward) normal is [itex]-\vec{j}[/itex]
and [itex]\vec{n}dS= -\vec{j}dydz[/itex].

[itex]E\cdot \vec{n}dS= -(x+ L) dydz[/itex] but we are in the face x= 0 so that is just [itex]-Ldy dz[/itex] and the flux is [itex]\int_{y=0}^L\int_{z=0}^L -L dy dz[/itex] which is just -L times the area of the face, [itex]-L^3[/itex]

On the face x= L, everything is the same except that the outward normal is [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] rather than [itex]-\vec{k}[/itex] and x+ L is now 2L. The flux through that face is [itex]\int_{y= 0}^L \int_{z= 0}^L 2L dydz[/itex] which is 2L times the area of the face, [itex]2L(L^2)= 2L^3[/itex].

On the face y= 0, in the xz-plane an (outward) normal is [itex]-\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}dS=-\vec{j}dxdz[/itex].

[itex]E\cdot\vec{n}dS= -a(0)L(-1) dxdz= 0[/itex] so the flux through that face is 0.

Finally, on y= 1, the (outward) normal is [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}dS= \vec{j}dxdz[/itex].

[itex]E\cdot\vec{n}dS= a(L)(L) dxdz[/itex] so the flux through that face is [itex]\int_0^L\int_0^L aL^2 dxdz[/itex] which is [itex]aL^2[/itex] times the area of the face: [itex](aL^2)(L^2)= aL^4[/itex].

The flux through the entire region is the sum of those.

What is flux through a cube?

Flux through a cube refers to the flow of a physical quantity, such as heat or electric charge, through a cube-shaped object. It is a measure of the amount of the quantity passing through the surface of the cube per unit time.

How is flux through a cube calculated?

The flux through a cube is calculated using the formula Flux = surface area x component of the quantity perpendicular to the surface x time interval. This formula is based on the definition of flux as the amount of a quantity passing through a surface per unit time.

What factors affect the flux through a cube?

The flux through a cube is affected by the surface area of the cube, the magnitude of the quantity passing through it, and the angle at which the quantity is passing through the surface. Additionally, the material and thickness of the cube can also affect the flux.

Why is flux through a cube important in science?

Flux through a cube is important in science because it allows us to quantify the flow of various physical quantities. This can help us understand and analyze processes such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic induction. It also has applications in fields such as engineering and meteorology.

What are some real-world examples of flux through a cube?

Some real-world examples of flux through a cube include the transfer of heat through a block of metal, the flow of electricity through a circuit, and the movement of water through a pipe. It can also be seen in natural phenomena such as the movement of air through a window or the flow of nutrients through a plant's roots.