Super continuum GVD calculation

In summary, the speaker has discovered a method for accurately measuring white light pulses, but they need help with the mathematical calculations. They have provided information on wavelength vs. time graphs of the white light and are using 2 fused silica prisms to compress the light. They are following the calculations from a book on ultrashort laser pulse phenomena but are having trouble deriving the group velocity dispersion (GVD) from the provided information. They mention needing the group velocity (Vg) from the graph, but are unsure how to generalize this for different pulses. They are seeking assistance with this aspect of the calculations.
paranoidom
So i seem to have run into a problem. I found a way to accurately measure white light pulses but i still need some help doing the math. The information i have is:

1) wavelength vs time graphs [of the white light]
yEXG0.png

2) Material - using 2 fused silica prisms to compress the white light

The math I've been following is from Diels - ultrashort laser pulse phenomena pg 100-117 (latest edition) - pdf attached

Q: How do i calculate GVD of the pulse in the graph above? Please let me know if you have any idea - i am fairly new to theoretical aspects in the field!

Thanks!

UPDATE: The derivation of GVD from Vg[group velocity] is pretty clear. But in order to obtain the GVD of the graph above, i need the Vg from the information provided[the graph]. Thats where I am having trouble:

The graphs gives us:
[w=omega=angular freq]
dt/dw [[tex]\lambda[/tex]=2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*c/w]
dw/dk (i.e. Vg) =dt/dw * dk/dt - where k==[w*n(w)]/c and w=w(t)

this seems like a loop!

Attachments

• 0122154932_disp.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure there is a way to find Vg by plotting the graph above and then finding the slope at each point but how could i generalize this for a range of different pulses?Any help would be appreciated!

1. What is Super Continuum GVD calculation?

Super Continuum GVD (Group Velocity Dispersion) calculation is a method used to calculate the propagation of light through a material or medium. It is used to determine the changes in the velocity of light as it travels through a material due to the material's refractive index and dispersion properties.

2. Why is Super Continuum GVD calculation important?

Super Continuum GVD calculation is important because it allows scientists to understand and control the behavior of light as it passes through various materials. This is crucial in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and spectroscopy, where precise control and understanding of light propagation is necessary.

3. How is Super Continuum GVD calculation performed?

The calculation is performed by using mathematical models and equations that take into account the material's refractive index and dispersion properties. These models can be solved using computer programs and simulations, allowing for accurate predictions of light propagation through different materials.

4. What factors can affect Super Continuum GVD calculation?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of Super Continuum GVD calculation, including the complexity of the material's refractive index and dispersion properties, the wavelength of the light, and the accuracy of the mathematical models used.

5. What are the applications of Super Continuum GVD calculation?

Super Continuum GVD calculation has a wide range of applications, including designing optical fibers for telecommunications, creating laser sources for spectroscopy and medical imaging, and developing new materials with specific optical properties. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and improving the performance of existing optical devices and systems.