What is the Rule of Correspondence in Mathematics?

• Thread starter sfeld
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the rules of correspondence and finding the equation of a line through given points. The rules of correspondence are not fully explained in the book, but it is possible to determine the simplest rule for a given set of points. The equation y = 3x - 1 is suggested as a possible rule, and it is confirmed by plugging in the given points and checking if they satisfy the equation.
sfeld
A = {(x,7)}: (1,2), (2,5), (3,8), . . .} Answer: y = 3x - 1

Can someone explain the rules of correspondence. I read it in the book that I have several times, but it doesn't explain it fully 100%.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rules of correspondence??
..uhm.. I don't know what you mean, or what that your notation is about.
But if you are looking for the equation of a line through the points (1,2), (2,5) and (3,8), two points will suffice.

Going 1 unit in the x direction gives an increase of 3 in the y direction. that determines the slope. Try it from there.

If you mean something else. Just ignore me.

It's not quite clear what what you are asking. Given something like
{(x,y): (1,2), (2,5), (3,8), . . .} (you had {(x,7)} but you MEANT that), there is no way to determine a single rule- there exist an infinite number of rules that give those pairs but differ on others. It is possible to ask "what is the simplest rule". I recently gave a rather complicated answer to that question in a different thread.
In any case, I suspect what you want is the other way around: How do check to see IF y= 3x-1 is correct., The answer is, calculate it and see happens:
if x= 1, y= 3(1)-1= 3-1= 2=> (1,2) checks
if x= 2, y= 3(2)-1= 6-1= 5=> (2,5) checks
if x= 3, y= 3(3)-1= 9-1= 8=> (3,8) checks

Since we have only 3 points, that's all we can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Rule of Correspondence?

The Rule of Correspondence, also known as the Correspondence Principle, is a fundamental concept in science that states that new scientific theories or laws must not contradict established theories or laws.

Why is the Rule of Correspondence important?

The Rule of Correspondence ensures that new scientific findings are consistent with existing knowledge and helps to build a cohesive understanding of the natural world. It also helps to prevent incorrect or conflicting theories from being accepted as fact.

How does the Rule of Correspondence impact scientific research?

Scientists use the Rule of Correspondence to guide their research and experiments, as they know that their findings must align with established theories in order to be considered valid. It also encourages scientists to seek out new evidence that either supports or challenges existing theories.

What happens if a new scientific theory violates the Rule of Correspondence?

If a new theory or law is found to contradict established theories, it will be rejected or revised in order to maintain consistency with the Rule of Correspondence. This process is an important part of the scientific method and helps to ensure that our understanding of the natural world continues to evolve and improve.

Is the Rule of Correspondence a fixed rule or can it change?

The Rule of Correspondence is not a fixed rule and can change as our understanding of the natural world evolves. As new evidence is discovered, existing theories may be revised or replaced, and the Rule of Correspondence will adapt to reflect these changes.