How can I use inversion in a circle to simplify a problem?

In summary, the concept of inversion in a circle has been used in various applications such as Poincare's disk model for hyperbolic geometry and constructing a Peaucellier linkage for converting between linear and circular motion. It has also been potentially used in modeling a Wankel Rotary Engine.
esisk
Can somebody give me an example whereby I use the inversion with respect to a circle (unit circle or otherwise) and the problem becomes easier. I guess I am asking: how do I make use of this notion. Or a problem that involves inversion, period.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The only time I have used inversion in a circle was in Poincare's disk model for hyperbolic geometry. There "congruence" is defined in terms of reflections in a "line", "lines" are the portions of circles orthogonal to the disk inside the disk, and "reflection" in such a line is inversion in the circle.

In this article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversive_geometry, Wikipedia refers to using inversion in a circle to construct a "Peaucellier linkage", apparently important in "converting between linear and circular motion". I have heard that one can use inversion in a circle to model Wankel Rotary Engine but have no certain information on that.

1. What is inversion in a unit circle?

Inversion in a unit circle is a mathematical operation that transforms points on a circle into their corresponding points on the opposite side of the circle. It is also known as circle inversion or reflection in a circle.

2. How is inversion in a unit circle performed?

To perform inversion in a unit circle, the center of the circle is chosen as the inversion point. A point on the circle is then connected to the inversion point with a straight line. The point is then reflected along this line to its corresponding point on the opposite side of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between the original point and its inverted point?

The relationship between the original point and its inverted point is that they are equidistant from the inversion point. This means that the distance from the original point to the inversion point is equal to the distance from the inverted point to the inversion point.

4. What are the properties of inversion in a unit circle?

Some properties of inversion in a unit circle include:

• It is an involution, meaning that performing the operation twice returns the original point.
  • It preserves angles between intersecting lines or circles.
  • It maps the entire circle to itself.
  • It maps the center of the circle to infinity.

5. How is inversion in a unit circle used in mathematics?

Inversion in a unit circle is used in various fields of mathematics, such as geometry, complex analysis, and number theory. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving circles, tangents, and power of a point. In complex analysis, inversion in a unit circle is used to transform circles and lines into other circles and lines, making it a powerful tool in solving complex functions and equations.