Chemical properties of transuranium elements

In summary, Pekka Pyykkö recently published a study on the chemical properties of super-heavy atoms, up to element 172. While this topic falls outside of the expertise of the speaker, they suggest starting with Pyykkö's research and its references. They also mention that despite the challenges of studying unstable elements, data on their chemical reactivity has been obtained, even for elements with short lifetimes.
samblohm
Assuming that super-heavy atoms were stable (at least up to 118), what would be some interesting chemical properties of some of them?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Pekka Pyykkö recently published http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~pyykko/pekka/PT.pdf" where he'd done ground-state calculations on the elements all the way up to 172(!), so you could start there (and references therein).

I personally can't really say offhand, relativistic (heavy-element) quantum chemistry isn't really my thing.
While I may be a theorist, theoretical properties of theoretical elements is a bit too "hard-core" even for me! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do the elements have to be stable to examine their properties? For most of the transuranium actinids, extensive experimental data on chemical reactivity are available and basic chemical experiments have been performed for up to element 106 or so.

Let's say "stable enough". Even seconds and single atoms are enough to get some information about chemical properties.

Well i would think that the energy of their decay would make examining them very difficult chemically- especially if they decay quickly.

1. What are transuranium elements?

Transuranium elements are elements that have atomic numbers higher than 92, the atomic number of uranium. These elements are all synthetic, meaning they are not found naturally on Earth and must be created in a laboratory.

2. What are the chemical properties of transuranium elements?

The chemical properties of transuranium elements vary depending on the element, but they generally exhibit high levels of radioactivity, instability, and the ability to undergo nuclear reactions. They also tend to have high atomic weights and densities.

3. How are transuranium elements created?

Transuranium elements are created through nuclear reactions, typically by bombarding a target element with high-energy particles such as neutrons or protons. These reactions can occur naturally in stars, but on Earth they are created in particle accelerators.

4. What is the significance of transuranium elements?

Transuranium elements have significant importance in the fields of nuclear energy, medicine, and scientific research. They can be used in the production of nuclear power, as well as in medical treatments and diagnostic tools. They also provide insight into the structure of the atom and the nature of the universe.

5. Are transuranium elements dangerous?

Yes, transuranium elements are highly radioactive and can pose a significant danger to human health if not handled properly. Exposure to these elements can cause severe damage to cells and tissues, leading to radiation sickness and potentially death. Proper safety measures must be taken when working with these elements.