Solubility of benzoic acid

In summary, the conversation revolved around an experiment involving the dissolution of 7g of benzoic acid in 350ml of distilled water at 60C, followed by titration against 0.0206M NaOH. The volume of NaOH used was 28.9ml and there was a question about how to calculate the solubility of benzoic acid in moles per 1kg water. There was also a question about calculating the average error using two values for solubility. Ultimately, the conversation ended with determining the mass of the acid and solvent and discussing potential factors that may affect the number of moles.
freedom856
In an experiment, 7g benzoic acid is dissolving to 350ml distillated water in 500ml conical flask at 60C for a period of time. 100ml of solution is then withdrawn and place at 40C water bath. After several minutes, 10ml sample is withdrawn and the weight of sample is 9.58g. The solution is then transfer to 100ml flask and 20ml water is added. The solution is then titrated against 0.0206M NaOH. Volume of NaOH used is 28.9ml. I wonder how to calculate the solubility of benzoic acid in moles per 1kg water

Can anyone teach me how to calculate this question?

Also, if i have 2 values of the solubility. how can i calculate the average error? Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What does titration tell you?

number of moles of acid react

There appears to be some redundant information in this problem. You might object it is put there to confuse you :devil: but in practice in the laboratory you might have it and be confused, you do have to see what is essential.

freedom856 said:
number of moles of acid react

So, what is mass of the acid in 9.58g of the solution?

Is (0.0206x28.9/1000)x122.12 = 0.0727g ?

And you still don't know what to do? What is mass of solvent?

o i see. i wonder whether different volume of sample may or may not affect number of moles. Thank you. Is mass of solvent = 9.58-0.0727 = 9.5073g?

That's the correct approach. I have not checked numbers.

what about average error?

What is the solubility of benzoic acid?

The solubility of benzoic acid is highly dependent on the temperature of the solvent. At room temperature, it has a solubility of 0.34 g/100 mL in water, and 3.4 g/100 mL in ethanol.

Why is benzoic acid soluble in water?

Benzoic acid is soluble in water due to the presence of a carboxylic acid functional group (-COOH) which is polar and can form hydrogen bonds with water molecules. This allows benzoic acid to dissolve in water and form a stable solution.

What factors can affect the solubility of benzoic acid?

The solubility of benzoic acid can be affected by temperature, pH, and the presence of other solutes. Higher temperatures can increase the solubility of benzoic acid, while a higher pH can decrease it. The presence of other solutes can also alter the solubility by competing for hydrogen bonding sites with the water molecules.

How does the solubility of benzoic acid change with pH?

The solubility of benzoic acid decreases as the pH increases. This is because at higher pH levels, the benzoic acid molecule becomes deprotonated and loses its polar carboxylic acid group, making it less soluble in water.

How can the solubility of benzoic acid be increased?

The solubility of benzoic acid can be increased by heating the solvent, adding a co-solvent (such as ethanol), or adjusting the pH to a lower value. Additionally, mechanical agitation or grinding the solid form of benzoic acid can also improve its solubility.