Electrical Machines and Power Electronics - 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor

In summary, we are given the specifications for a three phase, 6-pole, \Delta connected induction motor with a rating of 208V and 60Hz. The motor has various resistance and reactance values, including R_R\,=\,5.2\,\Omega, R_S\,=\,2.2\,\Omega, X_m\,=\,220\,\Omega, X_{lr}\,=\,7.5\,\Omega, and X_{ls}\,=\,2.3\,\Omega. Using equations from the notes about induction machines and multiple pole pairs, we can calculate the starting torque and both phase and line currents when the motor is started in \Delta and Y. In
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

A three phase, 6-pole, [itex]\Delta[/itex] connected induction motor is rated 208V, 60Hz. It has [itex]R_R\,=\,5.2\,\Omega[/itex], [itex]R_S\,=\,2.2\,\Omega[/itex], [itex]X_m\,=\,220\,\Omega[/itex], [itex]X_{lr}\,=\,7.5\,\Omega[/itex], [itex]X_{ls}\,=\,2.3\,\Omega[/itex].

Calculate the starting torque and both phase and line currents when the motor is started in [itex]\Delta[/itex] and Y.

Homework Equations

Various equations from the notes about induction machines and multiple pole pairs.

[tex]I_{S,\,Y}\,=\,\frac{\frac{V_{rated}}{\sqrt{3}}}{(R_S\,+\,j\,X_{ls})+(j\,X_m\,||\,R_R\,+\,j\,X_{lr})}[/tex]

[tex]T_Y\,=\,3\,\cdot\,\frac{P_{gap}}{\omega_s}\,\cdot\,\frac{p}{2}[/tex]

[tex]I_{R,\,Y}\,=\,I_{S,\,Y}\,\cdot\,\frac{j\,X_m}{R_R\,+\,j\,X_{lr}\,+\,j\,X_m}[/tex]

[tex]P_{gap}\,=\,|I_{R,\,Y}|\,\cdot\,R_R[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]I_{S,\,Y}\,=\,\frac{\frac{208}{\sqrt{3}}}{(2.2\,+\,j\,2.3)+(j\,220\,||\,5.2\,+\,j\,7.5)}\,=\,10\,\angle\,-53.8^{\circ}[/tex]

In Y, the line current is same as phase current above, right?

I get the torque in Y as [itex]T_Y\,=\,11.68\,Nm[/itex].

Does that look right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is correct. The solutions also state...

[tex]I_{ph,\,Y}\,=\,|I_{S,\,Y}|\,=\,10\,A[/tex]

[tex]I_{l,\,Y}\,=\,I_{ph,\,Y}\,=\,10\,A[/tex]

And for [itex]\Delta[/itex]:

[tex]T_{\Delta}\,=\,3\,\cdot\,T_Y\,=\,35\,A[/tex]

[tex]I_{ph,\,\Delta}\,=\,\frac{208}{120}\,\cdot\,10\,=\,17.34\,A[/tex]

[tex]I_{l,\,\Delta}\,=\,\sqrt{3}\,\cdot\,I_{ph,\,\Delta}\,=\,30\,A[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor?

A 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor is a type of electric motor that uses three alternating current (AC) power sources and has six magnetic poles in its stator. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings due to its efficiency and reliability.

2. How does a 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor work?

A 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor works by using electromagnetic induction to create a rotating magnetic field in the stator. This rotating magnetic field induces a current in the rotor, which in turn creates its own magnetic field. The interaction between the two magnetic fields causes the rotor to rotate, thus producing mechanical energy.

3. What are the advantages of using a 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor?

Some advantages of using a 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor include high efficiency, low maintenance, and reliability. It also has a simple design and is cost-effective compared to other types of motors. Additionally, its speed can be easily controlled by adjusting the frequency of the power supply.

4. How is a 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor different from a single phase motor?

A 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor is different from a single phase motor in that it has three power sources instead of one, which allows for a smoother and more constant power output. It also has a higher power-to-weight ratio, making it more suitable for heavy-duty applications.

5. What are some common applications of a 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor?

A 3 phase, 6 pole induction motor is commonly used in various industrial and commercial applications, such as pumps, compressors, conveyors, and fans. It is also used in household appliances, such as washing machines and air conditioners.