Taking an Online Course on Health and Execise and it's crazy difficult

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of an online physical education course that includes modules with fill-in-the-blank questions and powerpoint lectures, followed by challenging exams with tricky and sometimes vague true/false questions. The exams also require specific memorization of information, which can vary in specificity. This can lead to confusion and frustration for the student. Overall, the course seems to focus more on testing language comprehension and logic skills rather than the actual knowledge of health and exercise.
1MileCrash
I'm taking a bio + lab, a chemistry, math, and business elective...

and... with 3 credit hours left, I registered for "HPED 252" Intro to Physical Education, Exercise, and Sport. I have an 85 in this class. I have 95+ in everything else.

Literally, the hardest exams I have ever taken, EVER. This entire course is online, and it deals with aspects of physical education, such as history, development, practice, etc.

We are assigned "modules" and given powerpoint lectures.

Modules are usually 9-12 fill in the blank questions, word for work from the powerpoint lectures.

Then come the exams.

These exams are full of tricky, vague, downright evil true/false questions with varying specificity. When I take them, I really feel like I have NO IDEA what just hit me. If I could make a comparison, imagine taking a standardized test on graph reading, but you weren't given the graphs.

"In 1954 what percent of females played volleyball that make above a 2.5 GPA, according to study G."

OOOP, none of the above. Study G didn't say **** about that. It was study H.

"Caffeine is considered a restricted substance, athletes are permitted to have an amount equaling about 6-8 cups of coffee. True or false?"

Book says 10-12 cups - mark false. NOPE, true, 6-8/10-12 close enough!

Next question:

"Over 96.3% of adult females have exercise routines meeting reccomendations by some study in 1977."

Book says over 95%, 96.3% is over 95%, true right? NOPE, False.

^that is what I mean by varying specificity.

If I am typing eccentrically right now, its because I am eccentric.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the material is downright wrong, as in your cups of coffe question, then that's crap. If it is merely difficult, then I don't think there is anything you can do.

I never know how specific the test wants to be. Believe it or not those caffiene regulations are essentially given in molarity, so the number of cups of coffee can vary greatly depending on one's bladder size. Of course i still have no way of knowing if 6 falls into that range.

Another true/false asked a definition question regarding "mood statements." The term we were given was "mood words" so I marked false. Turns out that "mood statements" is a common alternative way to say the same thing. The answer was true.

The problem with all of this is that it could have just as easily been false.

Other times a slight variation on numbers or words makes the statement false... other times it doesn't. I could sit there and look the answer up and find it word for word, and still have no idea what answer the test wants. It akways comes down to a gamble, always.

1MileCrash said:
"Caffeine is considered a restricted substance, athletes are permitted to have an amount equaling about 6-8 cups of coffee. True or false?"

Book says 10-12 cups - mark false. NOPE, true, 6-8/10-12 close enough!
If 10-12 cups are permitted, then naturally, 6-8 cups is also permitted. TRUE. The test is correct. You picked the wrong choice.

Next question:

"Over 96.3% of adult females have exercise routines meeting reccomendations by some study in 1977."

Book says over 95%, 96.3% is over 95%, true right? NOPE, False.
From the book, one can only know that some number over 95% is the correct number. One can not, from that information, deduce that the correct number is also above 96.3%. FALSE. The test is correct again.

So far, I'm not seeing any arbitrary variation in specificity. Of course, that may not be the whole story, so you may have to give us more to help us understand the difficulty. The problem I have with the test, is that it seems to be more about judging your language comprehension and logic skills rather than about Health and Exercise knowledge.

They are just examples.

I agree that if the rule states "10-12 cups are permitted," then 6-8 cups are permitted as well. However, that is not the same as the rule stating that "6-8 cups are permitted" which is more along the lines of what the question was asking. And furthermore, my gripe with the original question (which I do not have verbatim) is that 6-8 cups and 10-12 cups of coffee is a stupid measurement because the actual rule is given in molarity (parts caffeine per unit of urine). So it just comes down to memorizing the arbitrary, "amount of coffee" measurement, 10-12 cups, which didn't even matter because 6-8 cups was counted as a true statement. There are just so many problems with it that I don't know where to begin.

The tests have varying specificity, I'm sorry if I didn't display it well with my examples, but it doesn't need to be verified.

A lot of them really are more term based. Slight changes to the term could make the statement false, or not. Depending on well, nothing, as far as I can tell.

1. What makes taking an online course on health and exercise so difficult?

Taking an online course on health and exercise can be difficult for a few reasons. First, it requires a lot of self-motivation and discipline to stay on track with the course material and complete assignments on your own time. Additionally, it can be challenging to fully understand and apply concepts without the benefit of in-person instruction and hands-on practice.

2. How can I stay motivated while taking an online course on health and exercise?

To stay motivated during an online course on health and exercise, it can be helpful to set specific goals for yourself and create a study schedule. Additionally, finding a study buddy or joining an online study group can provide accountability and support. It's also important to take breaks and engage in physical activity to maintain a healthy balance.

3. Are online courses on health and exercise as effective as in-person courses?

It ultimately depends on the individual and their learning style. Some people may thrive in an online learning environment, while others may prefer the structure and interaction of in-person classes. However, online courses on health and exercise typically cover the same material and can be just as effective if the student is dedicated and actively engaged in the coursework.

4. What resources are available to support my learning in an online course on health and exercise?

Many online courses on health and exercise offer a variety of resources to support students, such as virtual office hours with instructors, online discussion forums, and multimedia learning materials. Additionally, many online courses provide access to online tutoring and academic support services.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while taking an online course on health and exercise?

Time management is crucial when taking an online course on health and exercise. It can be helpful to create a schedule and stick to it, setting aside dedicated time for studying and completing assignments. It's also important to prioritize tasks and avoid procrastination. Remember to also schedule breaks and time for self-care to avoid burnout and maintain a healthy balance.