Converting Spherical Equations to Cylindrical and Rectangular

In summary, the conversation discusses converting the spherical equation p(1-2cos^2(o))=-psin^2(o) into cylindrical and rectangular coordinates. The speaker is unsure of how to do this but suggests looking at the geometry and considering what it means for something to be radially outward. They also discuss the conventions for theta and phi in physics and math. The conversation ends with the speaker providing the formulas for converting cylindrical coordinates to spherical coordinates.
DeadxBunny
Question:

(Note: p=rho and o=phi)
Convert p(1-2cos^2(o))=-psin^2(o) into cylindrical and rectangular coordinates and describe or sketch the surface.

The part that I don't know how to do is converting the spherical equation into cylindrical or rectangular coordinates. I know all the equations like x=psin(o)cos(theta) and y=psin(o)sin(theta) but I don't see how I can manipulate the given equation so that I could use those equations. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't try manipulating them directly. Look at the geometry.Yeah...I'm working w/ spherical coord systems as well a lot in Electromagnetism right now.

Think about what it means for something to be radially outward...sweeps out a sphere...every point equidistant ([itex] \rho [/itex]) no matter the direction:

[tex] \rho = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} [/tex]

For some reason our convention in physics class is opposite what we did in math (our thetas and phis are reversed from yours. No matter...I'll convert)

See the projection of [itex] \rho [/itex] onto the xy plane? It represents a line "radially" outward in that plane i.e.:

[tex] \rho\sin\phi = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} [/tex]

This projection into the plane forms a right triangle with z, the hypotenuese of which is [itex] \rho [/itex].

The angle between z and [itex] \rho [/itex] is just [itex] \phi [/itex], so from the geometry of the right triangle:

[tex] \phi = \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 }}{z}\right) [/tex]

It shouldn't be too hard to see that the azimuthal angle ([itex] \theta [/itex] in your case) is given by:

[tex] \theta = \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right) [/tex]

After all that, cylindrical coords should be easy

You know x= ρcos(θ)sin(&phi), y= ρsin(θ)sin(φ), z= ρcos(φ) but you need to know them the other way:

[tex]\rho= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/tex]
[tex]\theta= arctan(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]
[tex]\phi= arccos(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2})[/tex]

Replace each occurance in your equation by the corresponding formula.

What are the steps for converting spherical equations to cylindrical and rectangular?

The steps for converting spherical equations to cylindrical and rectangular are as follows:

1. Identify the variables in the spherical equation (radius, polar angle, and azimuthal angle).
  2. Use the equations x = r sin θ cos φ, y = r sin θ sin φ, and z = r cos θ to convert the spherical coordinates to rectangular coordinates.
  3. To convert to cylindrical coordinates, replace x and y with r cos φ and r sin φ, respectively.
  4. Use the equation r = √(x2 + y2) to convert x and y to r.
  5. Substitute the values for the converted variables into the original spherical equation to get the cylindrical or rectangular equation.

What are the differences between spherical, cylindrical, and rectangular coordinates?

Spherical coordinates use a radius, polar angle, and azimuthal angle to describe a point in 3-dimensional space. Cylindrical coordinates use a radius, angle, and height to describe a point, while rectangular coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates.

Can spherical equations be directly converted to rectangular equations?

Yes, spherical equations can be directly converted to rectangular equations using the equations x = r sin θ cos φ, y = r sin θ sin φ, and z = r cos θ.

What is the purpose of converting between spherical, cylindrical, and rectangular coordinates?

Converting between these coordinate systems allows us to easily describe points in 3-dimensional space with different sets of values. This can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

Can I use any values for the radius, polar angle, and azimuthal angle in a spherical equation?

No, the radius must be a positive value, the polar angle must be between 0 and π, and the azimuthal angle must be between 0 and 2π. These values ensure that the point is located within the 3-dimensional coordinate system and follows a specific direction from the origin.