Losing My Corvette: Grief After a Driver Error

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
In summary: SummaryIn summary, a driver error caused a 1999 Corvette to flip and go into a ditch, resulting in the car's destruction. The driver is going through grief over the car itself and the memories it held, as well as the loss of a close friend.
1MileCrash
Last Friday, I made a driver error which yielded catastrophic results. In my 1999 Corvette, my back tire went off the road on a curve, and I over corrected and slid across and went into a ditch at 50 MPH, flipped, etc, the car is gone.

My dad bought it for me last April, so I only had it for just over a year. Every time I started it up it felt brand new, it was mine and it was special. My dad and I talked about getting one for a long time, and we bought it and test drove it together, etc.

I am quite reserved when it comes to feelings, and I have been spending time with a close friend to keep my mind off of it, but while searching online for a new car (which of course will not be another corvette..) it hit me that I lost "oliver" and I went outside and threw up everything.

I know it's only a car, and I don't consider myself a materialistic person, but it still changes a lot. It was a great experience owning that car and I got very attached.

Now I'm looking for another car, something that won't remind me of the loss every time I look at it.. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember when my greatest car was smashed against a guard rail, like it was yesterday. It was 35 years ago. Some of us never truly get over the loss of a great car.

Glad no one was hurt in your accident.

I'm sorry to hear about it.

If you don't mind me asking, is the source of your grief about the car itself (admittedly an awesome car!), or that it was a gift from your dad?

lisab said:
I'm sorry to hear about it.

If you don't mind me asking, is the source of your grief about the car itself (admittedly an awesome car!), or that it was a gift from your dad?

Both, last year (2010-2011) was the best year of my life. Not because of the car in any sense. However, I'm still going to remember that I owned it during that time and all the awesome experiences I had with friends while owning it.

I also met one of my current best friends early last year through a corvette forum, who happened to live nearby. I mean, I was crazy about corvettes when I got it, and after owning it and driving it to school every day for a year I loved them even more.

It was just cool, people asked about it a lot and I'm going to miss that.

1MileCrash said:
Both, last year (2010-2011) was the best year of my life. Not because of the car in any sense. However, I'm still going to remember that I owned it during that time and all the awesome experiences I had with friends while owning it.

I also met one of my current best friends early last year through a corvette forum, who happened to live nearby. I mean, I was crazy about corvettes when I got it, and after owning it and driving it to school every day for a year I loved them even more.

It was just cool, people asked about it a lot and I'm going to miss that.

OK, I understand what you mean, totally. I suggest writing down as many Corvette memories as you can remember, while they're still fresh! It might help with the grief...hopefully.

And start saving for another Corvette as soon as you can :wink:!

Woke up this morning, both my Cadillacs were gone
Woke up this morning, both my Cadillacs were gone
Got so upset, yeah
Threw my drink across the lawn.

-- Martin Mull

Everybody sings the blues sometime.

Aww badluck. I experienced this grief a year ago (though it lasted only an hour) when a kid broke an old fountain pen which my friend had given me six years back when he was leaving town, and which I had preserved all those years as a token of his friendship.

Don't worry, it will pass.

1. What is "Losing My Corvette: Grief After a Driver Error" about?

"Losing My Corvette: Grief After a Driver Error" is a book that explores the emotional impact of losing a beloved car due to a driver error. It delves into the stages of grief, coping mechanisms, and the unique relationship between a car and its owner.

2. Why did you choose to focus on this topic?

As a scientist, I was interested in studying the psychological effects of losing a valuable possession, particularly a car. I also have a personal connection to this topic, as I have experienced the loss of a car due to a driver error.

3. What are the stages of grief discussed in the book?

The book discusses the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. It explores how these stages manifest in the context of losing a car and how they can be navigated to ultimately find peace and closure.

4. Can this book be helpful for people who have not experienced a similar loss?

Yes, this book can be helpful for anyone who has experienced loss or is interested in understanding the grieving process. While it focuses on the loss of a car, the emotions and coping mechanisms discussed can apply to any type of loss.

5. What do you hope readers will take away from this book?

I hope readers will gain a deeper understanding of the complexities of grief and how it can manifest in unexpected ways. I also hope that the book will provide comfort and support for those who have experienced a similar loss and help them to navigate their own grieving process.