Calculating Net PE in Ions: A & B Constants

In summary, the general expression for calculating net potential energy in ion is PE (r) = A r^m + B r^n, where A and B are proportionality constants. These constants can be found in the equation for electrostatic attraction or repulsion between two charged particles, F=kE*q1*q2/r^2, where q is charge, kE is the proportionality constant (permeability of free space/4pi), and r is distance. By assuming the particle has 0 potential energy at infinite distance and using the definition of work, an expression for the work done moving a particle of charge q from infinity to a distance R can be created. This results in the equation: W = kE*q1
f3nan
The general expression for calculating net potential energy in ion is:

PE (r) = A r^m + B r^n

where A & B are proportionality constants.

What exactly are these constants??
Could anyone point me to correct resources??
I'm new at this forum and very interested in learning physics.?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if I'm entirely clear on what you're asking; make sure you're proofreading your posts and being as descriptive as possible. Taking my best guess at your question, the equation for electrostatic attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is:
(Sorry if you don't know calculus)
F=kE*q1*q2/r2
where q is charge, kE is the proportionality constant(permeability of free space/4pi), and r is distance.
If we assume the particle to have 0 potential energy at infinite distance, (defining it as the zero level), and the definition of work we can then create an expression describing the work done moving a particle of charge q from infinity to R.
W=[itex]\int[/itex]F dr (from infinity to R)
Substituting and integrating gives:
W=[-1*kE*q1*q2/r](inf to R)
W=-1*kE*q1*q2/R
[itex]\Delta[/itex]PE=PEF-PEI
W=kE*q1*q2(1/RF-1/RI)

1. What is the purpose of calculating net PE in ions?

The purpose of calculating net PE in ions is to determine the overall energy of an ion, which is important in understanding its chemical properties and interactions with other ions or molecules.

2. How do you calculate net PE in ions?

Net PE in ions can be calculated by adding together the individual potential energies of the ion's constituent particles, taking into account their charges and positions relative to each other.

3. What are the A & B constants in net PE calculations?

The A & B constants refer to the coefficients used in the equation for calculating net PE in ions, which takes into account the Coulombic interactions between the charged particles. A represents the size of the ion, while B represents the distance between the particles.

4. Why are A & B constants important in net PE calculations?

A & B constants are important because they allow for a more accurate calculation of net PE in ions by taking into account the size and distance of the particles. Without these constants, the calculation would be less precise and may not reflect the true energy of the ion.

5. Are there any limitations to using net PE calculations in ions?

There are some limitations to using net PE calculations in ions, as they assume that the particles are point charges and do not take into account any other types of interactions between the particles. Additionally, these calculations may become more complex when dealing with larger or more complex ions.