H atom electron in combined spin/position state

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability density for finding an electron in a hydrogen atom in a specific spin and position state. The answer is given as |R21|^2*(1/3)*|Y10|^2*|χ+|^2 = (r^2)/(96πa^5) * exp(-r/a) * (cosθ)^2, but it is also mentioned that an integral may be necessary to account for the theta and phi dependence.
outhsakotad

Homework Statement

An electron in a H atom occupies the combined spin and position state: R21{(sqrt(1/3)Y10χ+) + (sqrt(2/3)Y11χ-)} If you measured both the z component of spin and the distance from the origin, what is the probability density for finding the particle with spin up and at radius r?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer should just be |R21|^2*(1/3)*|Y10|^2*|χ+|^2 = (r^2)/(96πa^5) * exp(-r/a) * (cosθ)^2, right? Or do I need to do an integral? The theta dependence of my answer is bugging me, but I'm not entirely sure if I need to integrate over theta and phi to just get an r dependent answer? Could somebody please help me think through this? Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the question just asks for "radius r", then, yes, you do have to integrate out the theta and phi dependence.

Sorta makes sense, but if the probability density is not isotropic in theta, it still seems wrong to me to integrate that dependence away.

If you don't integrate over the angles, the expression you have doesn't give the probability density that the electron is at a distance r; it's the probability density that the electron is at a distance r, angle θ, and angle φ.

I would first clarify that the given state represents an electron in a hydrogen atom in the second energy level (n=2), with the first subscript indicating the principal quantum number (n), and the second subscript indicating the orbital angular momentum (l). The state is a combination of the spin state (χ+ or χ-) and the position state (Y10 or Y11), with the coefficients indicating the relative probabilities of the two states.

To calculate the probability density for finding the particle with spin up and at radius r, we need to consider the square of the amplitude of the combined state. This would involve taking the square of the coefficients and the square of the wavefunction for each state, and then multiplying them together. The result would be an expression that is dependent on both r and θ (the angle between the z-axis and the position vector).

To obtain the probability density at a particular radius r, we would need to integrate this expression over all possible values of θ. This would involve integrating from θ=0 to θ=π, as the electron can be found at any angle around the nucleus. This would give us the overall probability density at that radius r.

Therefore, the correct expression for the probability density at radius r would be: |R21|^2*(1/3)*|Y10|^2*|χ+|^2 * (1/2π) * ∫(0 to π) (cosθ)^2 dθ. This integral can be simplified to give a final expression that is dependent on r only.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep in mind that in quantum mechanics, we usually have to integrate over all possible values of the variables to obtain the probability density at a particular point.

1. What is the combined spin/position state of an H atom electron?

The combined spin/position state of an H atom electron refers to the quantum mechanical description of the electron's behavior, taking into account both its spin (intrinsic angular momentum) and position (location in space).

2. How is the combined spin/position state of an H atom electron measured?

The combined spin/position state of an H atom electron can be measured through various techniques, such as electron spin resonance (ESR) or scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). These methods allow for the detection and manipulation of the electron's spin and position in a controlled environment.

3. What is the significance of the combined spin/position state of an H atom electron?

The combined spin/position state of an H atom electron is significant because it provides insight into the fundamental properties of matter at the atomic level. It also plays a crucial role in various technologies, such as quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

4. Can the combined spin/position state of an H atom electron be changed?

Yes, the combined spin/position state of an H atom electron can be changed through external influences such as magnetic fields or interactions with other particles. This is known as quantum state manipulation and is an essential aspect of quantum information processing.

5. What are the possible outcomes of measuring the combined spin/position state of an H atom electron?

The possible outcomes of measuring the combined spin/position state of an H atom electron are determined by the principles of quantum mechanics. They can range from discrete values to probabilistic distributions, depending on the specific state and measurement being performed.