Directional Derivative of a discontinuous function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of directional derivatives and their existence at the origin, even for functions that are not continuous at that point. The function given in the exercise is an example of this, as it is not continuous at the origin but has directional derivatives in all directions. The speakers also discuss the difference between differentiability and continuity and the importance of considering definitions before applying theorems.
Useful nucleus
I was reviewing basic calculus of of functions of several variables. It struck me that in one of the exercises, it was required to show that a given function has directional derivative for all directions at the origin (0,0) even though it is not continuous at (0,0).
Without getting into the details , I thought that this does not make sense as the function has to be differentiable at (0,0) for the directional derivatives to exist. And differentiability implies the continuity of the function at (0,0).
Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you define derivative the usual way, you need a value for the function at the origin, which you don't have. However near the origin it is possible to have the same derivative in all directions.

Indeed the function given in that excercise is defined at the origin but it is not continuous at it. Does that imply that my conclusion is wrong?

If you have derivatives at all points near the origin, and they all have the same limit at the origin, this limit may be called the derivative at the origin, even if the function is discontinuous there. At this point, it is more a matter of convention.

"the function has to be differentiable at (0,0) for the directional derivatives to exist."

this statement is false. to be differentiable, the directional derivatives not only have to exist, they have to depend linearly on the derivatives in the coordinate axis directions.

e.g. the derivative in the direction (1,1) has to be the sum of the derivatives in the directions (1,0) and (0,1).

the existence of all directional derivatives at (0,0) only implies continuity along all lines through the origin. one can cook up examples that are continuous along all lines, but not along some curve, say a parabola, through the origin.

e.g.: f (x, y) = [xy^2]/[x^2+y^4], if x ≠ 0, and f (0, y) = 0.

Last edited:
Thank you mathman and mathwonk for your help!
Indeed the exercise is exactly the one that mathwonk has cooked!
I kept thinking in terms of the theorems that helps in evaluating the directional derivative using the gradient. These theorems requires the differentiability of the function. However, the definition of the directional derivative does not require the differentiability, and using the definition I managed to show that the directional derivative is (0) for f(x,y) given in the above post.
It is always useful to think in definitions first before jumping to theorems!

1. What is the definition of a directional derivative of a discontinuous function?

The directional derivative of a discontinuous function is the rate of change of the function in a specific direction at a given point. It measures how much the function changes along a particular direction at a specific point.

2. How is the directional derivative of a discontinuous function calculated?

The directional derivative of a discontinuous function is calculated using the partial derivatives of the function in the specified direction. This is represented by the dot product of the gradient vector and the unit vector in the specified direction.

3. Can a discontinuous function have a directional derivative?

Yes, a discontinuous function can have a directional derivative as long as the partial derivatives in the specified direction exist at the given point. However, the value of the directional derivative may be different depending on the direction chosen.

4. How is the directional derivative affected by the discontinuity of a function?

The directional derivative of a discontinuous function may not exist at the point of discontinuity. This is because the partial derivatives in the direction of the discontinuity may not exist, leading to a non-existent or undefined directional derivative.

5. What is the significance of the directional derivative of a discontinuous function?

The directional derivative of a discontinuous function helps us understand the behavior of the function in a specific direction at a given point. It can also be used to find the maximum rate of change of the function in a particular direction, which is useful in various applications, such as optimization problems in physics and engineering.