Which Poles Do I Connect for Short Circuiting in a Wound Rotor Motor?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to connect a VEB MEZ VSTEIN asynchronous motor with a wound rotor to a frequency inverter. The rotor has 6 poles (a,b,c and a0,b0,c0) and the speaker is unsure of which poles to connect. This motor is used in a testing facility to rotate a fan and simulate wind speeds. The speaker has successfully connected a similar motor with only 3 poles on the rotor, but is unsure of how to connect this particular motor with 6 poles.
pafkatata
Hello,
I have problem with an old asynchronous motor with wound rotor it is VEB MEZ VSTEIN.I am intending to run the motor via frequency inverter by connecting it to the stator windings. I need to short circuit the rotor, but there are 6 poles coming out (a,b,c and a0,b0,c0) from the wound rotor collector and I don’t know which one to connect to which. Can you help me with advice?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is quite huge motor it is in a testing facility. I t is rotating a big fan in a tunnel and its purpose is to simulate a wind with a particular speed.But the guys want to get rid of this old scheme connection and want to control it via frequency converter. Actually i did this but with a normal asynchronous motor with wound rotor with only 3 poles on the rotor which i had to get short circuit them to each other, but this monster has 6 poles as you can see on the scheme (maybe 3 for the beginning and 3 for the end of the rotor winds).

1. What is a wound rotor?

A wound rotor is a type of rotor used in induction motors. It consists of a series of wire windings, or coils, that are connected to slip rings. These slip rings allow for external connections and provide a means for controlling the speed and torque of the motor.

2. What is the problem with wound rotors?

The main problem with wound rotors is their complexity and maintenance requirements. The slip rings and wire windings can wear out over time, leading to increased maintenance costs. Additionally, the use of slip rings makes the motor more susceptible to electrical noise and interference.

3. How does the problem with wound rotors affect the performance of the motor?

The problem with wound rotors can lead to decreased efficiency and increased downtime for repairs. The slip rings and wire windings can wear out and require replacement, and the motor may experience more electrical disturbances, leading to decreased performance and potential malfunctions.

4. Are there any solutions to the problem with wound rotors?

Yes, there are several solutions to the problem with wound rotors. One solution is to use a different type of rotor, such as a squirrel cage rotor, which eliminates the need for slip rings. Another solution is to use improved materials and designs for the slip rings and wire windings to increase their durability and reduce maintenance requirements.

5. How can scientists and engineers address the problem with wound rotors?

Scientists and engineers can address the problem with wound rotors by conducting research and developing new technologies to improve the design and materials used in wound rotors. They can also work to develop alternative rotor designs that eliminate the need for slip rings and mitigate the maintenance and performance issues associated with wound rotors.