Finding spring constant and maximum acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a 60 kg bungee jumper tied to a 12 m bungee cord, falling a total of 31 m from a bridge. The goal is to calculate the spring constant of the bungee cord and the maximum acceleration experienced by the jumper. To solve this problem, we need to understand the forces acting on the jumper, which are gravity and the restoring force of the bungee cord. As the jumper falls, the restoring force increases, eventually reaching equilibrium and stopping the fall. The equations needed to solve this problem are Newton's F=ma and the formula for a Hookian spring.
chase222
A 60 kg bungee jumper jumps from a bridge. She is tied to a 12 m long bungee cord and falls a total of 31 m. Calculate the spring constant of the bungee cord and the maximum acceleration experienced by the jumper.

I don't even know where to start. Can you tell me which equations I would use to find the answers to both parts of the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the formulas for the two forces involved, I suppose you can ignore friction which leaves you with how many forces? Then use Newtons F=ma to find the resulting acceleration, and note that the first 12m are a free fall...

No, I won't tell you which equations to use. Instead, let's try to actually understand the problem: As always, start off with a free body diagram! What forces act on the jumper? It's easy...in this case there are only two. Gravity, and the restoring force of the bungee cord (it acts like a Hookian spring). So, what happens as she falls? Initially, the restoring force is zero. So gravity accelerates her downward. But the farther down she goes, the stronger the restoring force trying to pull her back up becomes. What happens at equilibrium? I.e. how can you determine what's going on at the point at which she stops falling? That's the key to solving this problem.

1. How do I find the spring constant for a given spring?

The spring constant can be found by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting displacement. This can be represented by the equation K = F/x, where K is the spring constant, F is the force applied, and x is the displacement.

2. What is the significance of the spring constant?

The spring constant represents the stiffness of a spring, or how much force is needed to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. It is an important factor in many physical systems, such as in determining the frequency of a mass-spring system or the strength of a material.

3. How can I determine the maximum acceleration of an object attached to a spring?

The maximum acceleration can be found by dividing the maximum force that the spring can exert by the mass of the object. This can be represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is the maximum acceleration, F is the maximum force of the spring, and m is the mass of the object.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the spring constant and maximum acceleration?

The accuracy of calculating the spring constant and maximum acceleration can be affected by factors such as the precision of measuring tools, external forces acting on the system, and the elasticity of the spring itself. It is important to minimize these factors to obtain accurate results.

5. Can the spring constant and maximum acceleration change over time?

Yes, the spring constant and maximum acceleration can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear on the spring, changes in temperature, and increases in mass attached to the spring. It is important to regularly recalibrate and monitor these values in order to maintain accuracy in experiments or systems that involve springs.