Commutative property of partial derivatives

In summary: You can use \frac{∂^2}{∂x} or \frac{∂^2}{∂p(x)} depending on which symbol you want to use for the derivative. They are equivalent.There is no standard format, it's just standard tex syntax.
yayyyymath
Hi everyone,

I am working on simplifying a differential equation, and I am trying to figure out if a simplification is valid. Specifically, I'm trying to determine if:

[itex]\frac{\del^2 p(x)}{\del p(x) \del x} = \frac{\del^2 p(x)}{\del x \del p(x)}[/itex]

where p(x) is a function of x. Both p(x) and x are assumed to be continuous.

From what I found on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_derivatives (at the bottom of the subsection "Formal definition"), it appears that all partial derivatives have this commutative property if the functions are continuous.

However, a reputable colleague of mine said that this is not the case here. He said that the commutative property doesn't hold since p(x) is being differentiated with respect to itself. He did not have time to explain it thoroughly or give a proof.

Can anyone give a proof (or a strong argument) showing that the commutative property is/is not valid here?

Thank you very much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 p(x)}{\partial p(x) \partial x} = \frac{\partial^2 p(x)}{\partial x \partial p(x)}[/tex]

I'm not really equipped to answer your question with a rigorous proof, but to expedite other people helping you I fixed your latex.

Thanks Vorde

You want your tags to say "tex", not "latex". The typesetting will then work.

yayyyymath said:
I am working on simplifying a differential equation

I think you should state the un-simplified equation. I have no idea what the expression [itex] \frac{\partial^2 p(x)}{ \partial p(x) \partial x} [/itex] would mean. How did you end up with an expression like that?

Equation on the right:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 p(x)}{\partial x \partial p(x)}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial p(x)}{\partial p(x)})=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}1=0[/tex]

Maybe you meant something like this:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f(p(x))}{\partial x \partial p(x)}=\frac{\partial^2 f(p(x))}{\partial p(x) \partial x }[/tex]

Oops, sorry for the silence...I assumed I would get an email for every reply and thought the thread died, but I guess not. I'm new to this, so I apologize. Anyway, thank you all very much for your help. I still haven't found a good solution, so additional insight would be appreciated.

The expression comes from the optimality conditions (a set of PDEs analogous to the Euler-Lagrange equations) derived for a specific PDE constrained optimization problem which is used for an optimal control application. It's kind of complicated and I think it's irrelevant to what I'm trying to figure out here, so I didn't bother to include the details.

In one of the optimality conditions, I end up with the (unsimplified) term,
[tex]\frac{\del^2 p(x)}{\del p(x) \del x}[/tex]
What I'm trying to figure out is if this term will equal 0, which would allow me to cancel out that term and simplify the equation. As amiras noted, this would be the case if the order of the partial derivatives can indeed be switched to get,
[tex]\frac{\del^2 p(x)}{\del x \del p(x)}[/tex]
However, I'm not sure if switching the derivatives like that is valid since p(x) is being differentiated by itself. I'm looking for a proof or argument that would say whether switching the derivatives is/is not valid.

I know it's a strange expression, but it's definitely correct. I did not mean to write,
[tex]\frac{\del^2 f[p(x)]}{\del p(x) \del x}[/tex]

Hopefully that makes more sense. Thanks again!

Sorry, still trying to figure out the latex syntax used here...I guess you have to use the another command for del. Anyway, here are the corrected equations from my post above:

[tex]\frac{∂^2 p(x)}{∂p(x) ∂x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{∂^2 p(x)}{∂x ∂p(x)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{∂^2 f[p(x)]}{∂p(x) ∂x}[/tex]

Actually, is there a post or resource available that explains the correct typesetting format? Is it just standard tex syntax (if such a thing exists)? I am only familiar with latex. Thanks.

1. What is the commutative property of partial derivatives?

The commutative property of partial derivatives states that the order in which the partial derivatives are taken does not affect the final result. In other words, the partial derivatives of a multi-variable function with respect to two different variables will be the same regardless of which variable is differentiated first.

2. How is the commutative property of partial derivatives different from the commutative property of regular derivatives?

The commutative property of regular derivatives states that the order in which the derivatives are taken does not affect the final result. However, this property does not hold true for partial derivatives since the variables are not independent and their order of differentiation can affect the final result.

3. Can the commutative property of partial derivatives be applied to functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the commutative property of partial derivatives can be extended to functions with any number of variables. The result will still be the same regardless of the order of differentiation.

4. What are some real-world applications of the commutative property of partial derivatives?

The commutative property of partial derivatives is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and model systems with multiple variables, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. It is also used in economics and finance to analyze how changes in one variable affect others in a system.

5. How is the commutative property of partial derivatives used in machine learning and data analysis?

In machine learning and data analysis, the commutative property of partial derivatives is used to calculate gradients and optimize models. By taking the partial derivatives in different orders, it is possible to identify the most influential features and optimize the model for better performance.