Math Based or Conceptual Based Physics Textbook?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is a high school freshman interested in pursuing a major in physics and mathematics in college. They are seeking advice on whether to start with a conceptual physics book or work their way up to calculus before tackling a physics book that uses calculus. The response suggests that the individual could benefit from doing both - starting with a conceptual physics book and then moving on to a calculus-based book when they have enough math knowledge. The recommendation is to also learn basic trigonometry, as it is a barrier for understanding physics.
Tyler133
I am a freshman in high school and I want to major in physics and probably mathematics in college. I would like to learn more physics and I think that math is a very important part in learning physics. However, I don't know algebra II, trigonometry, or calculus so I was wondering if I should read a conceptual physics book or if I should work my way up to calculus and then read a physics book that uses calculus. What would be the most beneficial for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not do both? Go through a conceptual physics book now (such as Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics"), and then when you have enough math, do a calculus-based book (which is what you'll do in AP Physics C if your school has it).

Hewitt is a great book. The big barrier right now would be trig, not calc. If you can learn a little basic trig (just sine, cosine, and tangent, which you could do in an afternoon), you'll have a much wider selection of books.

jtbell, are you suggesting that I wait until I get to more advanced math courses in school and then do a calculus-based physics book, or are you saying that I should do I conceptual physics book now and once I finished that book I go on to learn more higher mathematics?

I would recommend starting with a math-based physics textbook. While conceptual understanding is important, math is the language of physics and having a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus will greatly benefit your understanding of more advanced concepts in physics. It may seem daunting to learn these math skills before diving into physics, but they are essential tools that will help you approach and solve problems in physics.

If you are concerned about not having a strong background in math, I would suggest seeking out additional resources such as online tutorials or attending extra help sessions at your school. With dedication and practice, you can build a solid understanding of these math concepts and apply them to physics.

Ultimately, it is important to have a balance between conceptual understanding and mathematical proficiency in physics. With a strong foundation in both, you will be well-prepared for a future in physics and mathematics.

What is the difference between a math-based and a conceptual-based physics textbook?

A math-based physics textbook focuses on teaching students the mathematical principles and equations used to solve problems in physics. A conceptual-based physics textbook, on the other hand, focuses on explaining the underlying concepts and theories of physics without heavy emphasis on mathematical equations.

Which type of textbook is better for students who struggle with math?

A conceptual-based physics textbook may be more beneficial for students who struggle with math. It allows them to understand the concepts and theories without getting bogged down by complicated equations.

Are there any advantages to using a math-based physics textbook?

Yes, there are advantages to using a math-based physics textbook. It helps students develop their problem-solving skills and prepares them for higher-level math courses that are often required in physics degrees.

Can a student use a math-based physics textbook without a strong math background?

It is possible for a student to use a math-based physics textbook without a strong math background, but it may be more challenging for them. They may need to spend more time practicing and reviewing mathematical concepts to fully understand the material.

Which type of textbook is more commonly used in college-level physics courses?

In college-level physics courses, both math-based and conceptual-based textbooks are commonly used. It often depends on the instructor's teaching style and the curriculum of the course. Some courses may use a combination of both types of textbooks.