Why Does Bernoulli's Equation Seem Incorrect for a Rotating Fluid in a Bucket?

In summary, Bernoulli's equation does not generally hold for a rotating fluid and the attempt to solve for the shape of the fluid surface using that equation is flawed.
jbar18

Homework Statement

What is wrong with the following argument from Bernoulli's equation?

Suppose a fluid in a bucket is rotating under gravity with constant angular velocity W so that velocity is:

[itex]u = (-\Omega y,\Omega x, 0).[/itex]

Then:

[itex]\frac{P}{\rho} + \frac{u^2}{2} + gz = constant[/itex],

[itex]z = constant - \frac{(\Omega)^2}{2g} (x^2+y^2)[/itex]

But this implies that the highest point of the water is in the middle, which is obviously not true.

2. The attempt at a solution

I was wondering if perhaps it might have something to do with P or rho (or both) being a function of x and y? In the problem the whole pressure term seems to have been grouped with the constant, and I'm wondering if that is justifiable. Beyond that I don't know, it looks like Bernoulli's equation is just not appropriate for this situation for some reason (or else it has been applied incorrectly, but I am not sure why).

I've put this in the homework section, but I should mention that it is not assessed and I am unable to check my answer, so this is just out of interest.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, jbar18

Bernoulli's equation [itex]\frac{P}{\rho} + \frac{u^2}{2} + gz = constant[/itex] generally holds only along a streamline. The "constant" on the right hand side can be different for different streamlines. Does Bernoulli's equation hold along a steamline for the rotating fluid in the bucket?

[EDIT: Just found this link: Bernoulli’s Equation for a Rotating Fluid ]

Last edited:
Hi TSny,

I imagined those streamlines would exist in a plane of constant z. I wondered about the constants, is that the flaw in the logic? Given that this method doesn't work, how might we go about finding the shape of the fluid surface?

Thanks for your reply

jbar18 said:
how might we go about finding the shape of the fluid surface?
Thanks for your reply

Look at the derivation of equation (4) in the link and then see how it's applied to the upper surface of the rotating fluid to get equation (6).

Likes 1 person
Thanks TSny, I'll take a look at that.

What is the "Fluid in a rotating bucket" experiment?

The "Fluid in a rotating bucket" experiment is a classic physics experiment that studies the behavior of a fluid in a rotating container. It involves filling a bucket with water and then spinning the bucket around its central axis, observing the movement and shape of the water.

Why is the "Fluid in a rotating bucket" experiment important?

This experiment helps to demonstrate the effects of centrifugal force and how it affects the behavior of fluids. It also has practical applications in industries such as aerospace and meteorology, where understanding fluid behavior in rotating environments is crucial.

What do we learn from the "Fluid in a rotating bucket" experiment?

The experiment teaches us about the concept of inertial forces and how they can influence the shape and movement of a fluid in a rotating container. It also helps to illustrate the concept of relative motion and the difference between an inertial and non-inertial reference frame.

What factors affect the behavior of the fluid in the "Fluid in a rotating bucket" experiment?

The behavior of the fluid is affected by the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the container, and the viscosity and density of the fluid. Other factors such as air resistance and the surface tension of the fluid may also have an impact.

How does the "Fluid in a rotating bucket" experiment relate to real-world situations?

The experiment has real-world applications in fields such as meteorology, where the rotation of the Earth affects the behavior of the atmosphere and ocean currents. It also has applications in engineering, where understanding fluid behavior in rotating systems is essential for designing efficient and safe structures.