Please check my work on inner product operation

In summary, the conversation is about a linear algebra question regarding bra-ket notation. The norm of a vector is being discussed, with an example vector given in n-tuple representation. There is a question about the calculation of the norm, and the conversation also mentions a possible mistake in the calculation. The conversation ends with a reference to a website for further clarification.
iScience
i realize this is a linear algebra question, but the bra-ket notation is still a little confusing to me so i posted it in this section.

|e>=(1+i,1,i) (n-tuple representation, where i's are the imaginaries)

so the norm of this would then be the following?

||e||=$$\sqrt{<e|e>}$$=$$\sqrt{(1+i,1,i)\cdot(1+i,1,i)}$$=$$\sqrt{(1+2i+i^2)+1+i^2}$$=$$\sqrt{2i}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
iScience said:
i realize this is a linear algebra question, but the bra-ket notation is still a little confusing to me so i posted it in this section.

|e>=(1+i,1,i) (n-tuple representation, where i's are the imaginaries)

so the norm of this would then be the following?

||e||=$$\sqrt{<e|e>}$$=$$\sqrt{(1+i,1,i)\cdot(1+i,1,i)}$$=$$\sqrt{(1+2i+i^2)+1+i^2}$$=$$\sqrt{2i}$$

No, it's not right. If |e>=(1+i,1,i) then <e| is the hermitian conjugate vector. You forgot the complex conjugation. <e|e> should be a real number.

1. What is an inner product operation?

An inner product operation is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is often used in linear algebra and can be thought of as a way to measure the similarity or angle between two vectors.

2. How is an inner product operation calculated?

The inner product of two vectors, a and b, is calculated by taking the dot product of the two vectors. This involves multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and then summing the results. So, the inner product of a and b can be written as ab = a1b1 + a2b2 + ... + anbn.

3. What is the significance of the inner product operation?

The inner product operation is significant because it allows us to measure the similarity or angle between two vectors. This can be useful in many applications, such as in signal processing, image recognition, and machine learning.

4. Can the inner product operation be used with complex numbers?

Yes, the inner product operation can be used with complex numbers. In this case, the operation is known as the complex inner product and involves taking the conjugate of one of the vectors before calculating the dot product.

5. Are there any properties of the inner product operation?

Yes, there are several properties of the inner product operation, including linearity, symmetry, and positive definiteness. These properties make the inner product a useful tool in mathematical and scientific calculations.