Linear combination of wave function of a Hydrogen Atom

In summary: You're supposed to solve for the values of the operator on the state, not the measurement. After you've found the operator on the state, you can use the equation for the measurement to calculate the probability.I think (I guess?) I can find the eigenfunction of Lx first by constructing the matrices of raising and lowering operator, by the relation of Lx=1/2(L+ + L_). Then I can find the eigenvalues, which are the possible outcome when I measure Lx.That's a good start. To find the columns of a matrix representing an operator, you calculate what the operator does to the basis states.After some work, I worked out that Lx = h(
czng71

Homework Statement

I am given a linear combination of wave function of HYDROGEN ATOM Ψ=1/2(Ψ200 +Ψ310+Ψ311+Ψ31-1), where the subscripts are n, l, m respectively.

I was asked to find all the possible outcomes when measuring Lx and their corresponding probabilities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I construct matrices of the raising and lowering operator? How should I do so?
I don't really know how to deal with a linear combination of wave functions.

Physics news on Phys.org
czng71 said:

Homework Statement

I am given a linear combination of wave function of HYDROGEN ATOM Ψ=1/2(Ψ200 +Ψ310+Ψ311+Ψ31-1), where the subscripts are n, l, m respectively.

I was asked to find all the possible outcomes when measuring Lx and their corresponding probabilities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I construct matrices of the raising and lowering operator? How should I do so?
Why would you want to do this? I'm not suggesting you shouldn't, but do you have a reason for doing this? It seems like you're just guessing at this point.

Do you have some sort of strategy for solving the problem? Can you explain conceptually what you want to do even if you don't know how to do the actual math yet? That's where you need to start.

I don't really know how to deal with a linear combination of wave functions.

vela said:
Why would you want to do this? I'm not suggesting you shouldn't, but do you have a reason for doing this? It seems like you're just guessing at this point.

Do you have some sort of strategy for solving the problem? Can you explain conceptually what you want to do even if you don't know how to do the actual math yet? That's where you need to start.

I think (I guess?) I can find the eigenfunction of Lx first by constructing the matrices of raising and lowering operator, by the relation of Lx=1/2(L+ + L_). Then I can find the eigenvalues, which are the possible outcome when I measure Lx.

That's a good start. To find the columns of a matrix representing an operator, you calculate what the operator does to the basis states.

Likes 1 person
After some work, I worked out that Lx = h(bar) /2 (0 1 0) for l = 1
.                          1 0 1
.                          0 1 0

But now there is the problem: in the question there is a linear combination of states where l = 1 and l = 0. I don't know how to deal with it.

Thank you very much for your help!

I think I have worked out a better method:

Lx Ψ= 1/2 (L+ +L_)Ψ = 1/2 (L+Ψ + L_Ψ)
= 1/2 [(L+)(Ψ200 +Ψ310+Ψ311+Ψ31-1) + (L_)(Ψ200 +Ψ310+Ψ311+Ψ31-1)]

Plug in L+(Ym)=h(bar)√(l+m+1)(l-m) (Ym+1) and similarly for L_.

Then we can get the answer? I found that Lx = √2h(bar) or 0.
Is that correct?

Many Thanks!

I am actually still working on how the probabilities add up to 1. I am having trouble on this. There may be mistakes in my calculation or the entire method is incorrect.

Don't equate making a measurement with applying the corresponding operator to the state.

1. What is a linear combination of wave functions in a Hydrogen atom?

A linear combination of wave functions in a Hydrogen atom is a mathematical method used to describe the electron's position and energy in the atom. It involves adding together two or more wave functions to form a new wave function that better represents the electron's behavior.

2. How is the linear combination of wave functions used to describe the Hydrogen atom?

The linear combination of wave functions is used in the Schrödinger equation to calculate the probability of finding an electron in a particular state in the Hydrogen atom. By combining different wave functions, a more accurate description of the electron's position and energy can be obtained.

3. What are the wave functions used in the linear combination for a Hydrogen atom?

The wave functions used in the linear combination for a Hydrogen atom are the solutions to the Schrödinger equation for the atom. These include the radial wave function, which describes the electron's distance from the nucleus, and the angular wave function, which describes the electron's orientation around the nucleus.

4. How does the linear combination of wave functions affect the energy levels of the Hydrogen atom?

The linear combination of wave functions can change the energy levels of the Hydrogen atom by altering the shape and amplitude of the wave function. This, in turn, affects the probability of finding the electron at a certain energy level. By adjusting the coefficients of the wave functions in the linear combination, different energy levels can be obtained.

5. Are there any limitations to using the linear combination of wave functions for the Hydrogen atom?

While the linear combination of wave functions is a powerful tool for describing the behavior of electrons in the Hydrogen atom, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the electron's motion is not affected by other particles or external forces, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it is not always possible to obtain exact solutions to the Schrödinger equation, and some approximations must be made.