Calculating the Period of Binary Stars: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary: MR2In summary, Stephen found that the period of a binary star system is given by T2=4pi2(r1+r2)3/(G(m1+m2)) and that the mutual force between the stars is F=Gm1m2/(r1+r2)2.
StephenPrivitera
Hello.
Two binary stars (m1 and m2) orbit each other around their center of mass. They orbit in circles of radii r1 and r2. I am to show that the period is given by T2=4pi2(r1+r2)3/(G(m1+m2))

The mutual force between m1 and m2 is F=Gm1m2/(r1+r2)2
Considering m1, the acceleration of m1 is given by a1=Gm2/(r1+r2)2=v12/r1
Solving for v and using T1=2(pi)r1/v1=T2, I get T2=4pi2r1(r1+r2)2/(Gm2)

What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would reconsider the definition of "center of mass."

What precisely do you mean by "reconsider?" If I take the CM to be my reference frame (which I do), then m1r1=m2r2. I don't know how this helps. However, I noticed that if I take m2 to be my reference frame, then I get T2=4pi2(r1+r2)3/(Gm2). This is unexpected to me. I thought that omega was independent of reference frame so long as these reference frames have only translational motion wrt each other. Since T is indirectly proportional to omega, T should also be independent of reference frame. I'm clearly making some mistake here, but I can't figure out what it is.

Stephen, your original approach was exactly on target. You simply didn't finish it.

The mutual force between m1 and m2 is F=Gm1m2/(r1+r2)2 Correct.
Considering m1, the acceleration of m1 is given by a1=Gm2/(r1+r2)2=v12/r1 Correct.
Solving for v and using T1=2(pi)r1/v1=T2, I get T2=4(pi)2r1(r1+r2)2/(Gm2) Correct.

Now, remembering that m1r1 = m2r2
divide numerator by r1 and denominator by m2r2 /m1 giving you
T2=4(pi)2(r1+r2)2/(Gm1/r2)
Now multiply numerator and denominator by (r1+r2) giving
T2=4(pi)2(r1+r2)3/(G(m1r1 /r2+m1)

But m1r1 /r2 = m2 which is exactly what you wanted.

But I'm puzzled by your later statement which seemed to suggest that it would be OK to use m2 as a reference frame on the assumption that these frames have only translational motion wrt each other. How can you make this assertion when these frames are rotating about each other?

The frames would not rotate with respect to each other. If their axes were originally parallel, they would always be parallel. In that way, omega would be the same in either frame.

Edit:
I learned it yesterday actually in my physics book. Perhaps my inexperience with the new concept has caused me to use it incorrectly. In the book, it says that if an object rotates in a plane, then it rotates about any axis perpendicular to that plane. And no matter which axis is chosen, the angular velocity omega is the same (however, as they are noninertial frames, linear velocity is affected).

Edit:
Thanks for your answer. I would have never gotten that. It still took me ten minutes to finish the problem after I read your answer.

Last edited:
... if an object rotates in a plane, then it rotates about any axis perpendicular to that plane. And no matter which axis is chosen, the angular velocity omega is the same.
That's very interesting. I don't remember coming across that before. I imagine it will prove useful someday, but right now I'm having trouble visualizing it. In particular, does it still hold if you choose an axis that is outside of the objects orbit?

By the way, the equation you wrote using m2 as the reference frame is Kepler's Second Law, which we learned is only valid to describe the orbit of a body wrt another body which is so much larger that the mass of the smaller body can be ignored.

No it shouldn't matter where the axis lies, inside or outside of the orbit. I drew a picture to convince myself. The book actually used a rotating object as an example. It's easy to see then how the reference frame must move with the other particles in the object. When I was doodling with orbits it wasn't as clear how the RF should move.

The parallel axis theorem (having to do with moments of inertia I) states:

IR=0+MR2=IR=R

1. What is the period of a binary star system?

The period of a binary star system refers to the time it takes for the two stars to complete one orbit around their common center of mass. It is typically measured in days, years, or even decades depending on the distance between the stars and their masses.

2. How is the period of a binary star system calculated?

The period of a binary star system is calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the distance between the two stars. This means that as the distance between the stars increases, the period of the system also increases.

3. Can the period of a binary star system change over time?

Yes, the period of a binary star system can change over time due to a phenomenon known as orbital decay. This occurs when the stars lose energy through gravitational radiation, causing them to gradually move closer together and decrease their orbital period.

4. How does the period of a binary star system affect the stars' evolution?

The period of a binary star system plays a significant role in the evolution of the stars. A shorter period may result in the stars merging together or exchanging material, while a longer period can allow for more stable evolution. The period also affects the amount of energy and light emitted by the stars.

5. What factors can influence the period of a binary star system?

The period of a binary star system is primarily influenced by the masses and distances of the stars. Other factors that can affect the period include the stars' rotation, magnetic fields, and the presence of other objects in the system such as planets or companion stars.