Finding Limits of Improper Integrals Using L'Hospital's Rule

In summary: , you are doing great! just make sure you are using \pi with small p and x instead of \times when referring to the variable x.
steven187
hello all

well this is the first time Iv used latex it really took me along time to write, is it suppose to take that long or is there a better way of doing it?

anyway this is a small part of a bigger problem everytime i tried i always show that the limite does not exist, but when i chuck it into mathematica the limite does exist, can anybody help, its really awkward check it out

thanxs

[tex]\int_0^1\frac{\Pi\coth\Pi\times\x}{2}-\frac{1}{2\times\x}dx[/tex]
[tex] \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} (\int_\epsilon^1\frac{\Pi\coth\Pi\times\x}{2}-\frac{1}{2\times\x}dx)[/tex]
then eventually i get this
[tex] \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} (\frac{\log[\epsilon]}{2}+\frac{\log[\sinh\Pi]}{2}-\frac{\log[\sinh\Pi\epsilon]}{2})[/tex]
but no matter how much i tried i cannot get it to equal
[tex]\frac{\log[\frac{\sinh\Pi}{\Pi}]}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_0^1\frac{\pi\coth\pi x}{2}-\frac{1}{2x}dx[/tex]
[tex]= [\frac{log(sinh\pi x)}{2} - \frac{log(x)}{2}]_0^1 [/tex]
[tex]= [\frac{log(\frac{sinh\pi x}{x})}{2}]_0^1 [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{log(sinh\pi)}{2} - \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{log(\frac{sinh\pi x}{x})}{2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{log(sinh\pi)}{2} - \frac{log(\pi)}{2}[/tex]

-- AI
[edit]
Please use \pi with small p and use x instead of \times when referring to variable x. \PI and \times look absolutely awful in your given expression :smile:

hello there

thanxs for the advice about latex i sure hope i will improve in the near future
anyway i don't really understand how you did this step

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\log(\frac{sinh\pi x}{x})=log(\pi)[/tex]

thats exactly where I am getting concused am i missing something i am suppose to know?

thanxs

You can take lim inside log (since the log function is continuous)

-- AI

well this is what i have done so far but i don't see how that's going to get me to [tex]\pi[/tex], i tried plotting it on mathematica, it wouldn't plot

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\log(\frac{sinh\pi x}{x})[/tex]
[tex]=\log(\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{sinh\pi x}{x})[/tex]
[tex]=\log(\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{e^{\pi x}+e^{-\pi x}}{2x})[/tex]

where am i going wrong?

[tex]sinh\pi x = \frac{e^{\pi x}-e^{-\pi x}}{2}[/tex]
Apply L' Hospital.

-- AI

wow this L' Hospital stuff is great thanxs for the directions muchly appreciated

steven

1. What are improper integrals?

Improper integrals are integrals where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinity or the integrand function is unbounded at one or more points in the interval of integration.

2. How do you evaluate improper integrals?

Improper integrals can be evaluated by taking the limit of the definite integral as the bound approaches infinity or the point where the function is unbounded. If the limit exists, then it is the value of the improper integral.

3. What is the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 improper integrals?

Type 1 improper integrals have one or both limits of integration as infinity, while Type 2 improper integrals have a discontinuity or infinite point within the interval of integration. Type 2 improper integrals can be evaluated using the limit definition, while Type 1 integrals require additional techniques such as substitution or partial fractions.

4. Can improper integrals have a finite value?

Yes, improper integrals can have a finite value if the limit of the definite integral exists. In this case, the integral is said to converge. If the limit does not exist, the integral is said to diverge.

5. What is the significance of improper integrals in real-world applications?

Improper integrals are important in calculating areas and volumes of unbounded regions, as well as in solving various differential equations. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and economics, among others.