Q-factor in resonant RCL circuit

In summary: So the formula is correct, but it does not take into account the energy stored in the capacitors, which is negligible compared to the energy stored in the inductor. In summary, the Q-factor of the circuit can be calculated using the formula Q = \frac{\omega L}{R_{a}+R_{coil}}, but it does not consider the energy stored in the capacitors, which is negligible at resonance.
temujin
Dear Forum,

I am not sure how I can calculate the Q-factor in the circuit attached.
(The circuitresonates at 13.56MHz and tuned to 50 ohm input impedance, thus the two capacitors)

Is the Q-factor of the circuit simply [tex]Q = \frac{\omega L}{R_{a}+R_{coil}}[/tex] ?

I went through some examples and it looks like this is the right way to do it, however, I´m not sure why the capacitorscan be disregarded, since they also store reactive energy.

best regards
eirik

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 523
Engineering news on Phys.org
The left most capacitor is probably used for coupling purposes. Don't forget that the omega term is the resonance frequency, which is indeed a function of the capacitance. It's quite a mess, but I think if you derive the equations based on first principles (3db amplitude drop - bandwidth), you will see why this is so.

Hi again,
One additional thought...I think that the total reactive energy in the circuit is constant. At resonance the total energy swings back and forth between the capacitors and the inductor. Can it be that at one instant when the stored energy is at maximum in the inductor, the stored energy is zero in the capacitors? So that I just need to consider the inductor at that instant??

e.

temujin said:
Hi again,
One additional thought...I think that the total reactive energy in the circuit is constant. At resonance the total energy swings back and forth between the capacitors and the inductor. Can it be that at one instant when the stored energy is at maximum in the inductor, the stored energy is zero in the capacitors? So that I just need to consider the inductor at that instant??

e.
As mezarashi said, [tex]\omega = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/tex], so [tex]\omega L = \sqrt \frac{L}{C}[/tex]. There you have both L and C.

What is Q-factor in a resonant RCL circuit?

The Q-factor in a resonant RCL circuit is a measure of the selectivity or sharpness of the circuit's resonance. It is defined as the ratio of the reactance to the resistance at resonance, and is a measure of the efficiency of energy transfer in the circuit.

How is Q-factor calculated in a resonant RCL circuit?

Q-factor can be calculated using the formula Q = ωL/R, where ω is the angular frequency of the circuit, L is the inductance, and R is the resistance. Alternatively, it can also be calculated as Q = 1/R√(C/L), where C is the capacitance.

What is the significance of Q-factor in a resonant RCL circuit?

The Q-factor determines the sharpness of the resonance peak in the circuit. A higher Q-factor indicates a sharper peak, meaning that the circuit is more selective in passing only a narrow range of frequencies. A lower Q-factor indicates a broader peak and thus a less selective circuit.

How does Q-factor affect the bandwidth of a resonant RCL circuit?

The Q-factor and bandwidth are inversely related. A higher Q-factor results in a narrower bandwidth, meaning that the circuit is more selective in passing a narrow range of frequencies. A lower Q-factor leads to a wider bandwidth and less selectivity in the circuit.

What are the practical applications of Q-factor in resonant RCL circuits?

The Q-factor is an important parameter in designing and analyzing resonant RCL circuits. It is used in various applications such as radio and television tuners, bandpass filters, and frequency-selective amplifiers. A high Q-factor is desirable in these applications to ensure precise and selective frequency response.